Acres of plums....help i need recipies quick!!

More
12 years 1 month ago #30825 by Jules01
Just moved onto our lifestyle block, we have at least 20 plum trees dotted around...all at different stages of ripeness, some starting to fall. Can any one help with plum sauce and wine recipies?

Thanks
Jules:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415329 by Vanaheim
try for 1 gallon, 2kg plums, 1 kg sugar, 4.5 l h2o. top and tail plums, mash in a bowl add water, pectinase and yeast and stand for 3 days stiring daily (twice). strain into another bowl to disolve sugar then place into demijohn or beer barrel. leave until its stops fermenting, add more pectinase if it wont clear.
i make 20 l or so at a time and rack it into7 3l wine casks rather than 25 750ml bottles. plum wine takes a while to clear because of pectin.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
12 years 1 month ago #415331 by KiplingAngel
oooooooooooooh I wish I had your problem!! My 7 plums (now that's individual fruit, not trees...) have been popped into a large jar and covered with Vodka...

Are you looking for jam, chutney or any other sort of recipe??

More
12 years 1 month ago #415334 by morioka

More
12 years 1 month ago #415337 by shad297
We just had our crop of damsons on our small tree about 13kg and with help from people on this site we've made: jam, chutney, vodka, jelly and today I'm making pickled damsons. Lots of recipes out there, just pace yourself. You can always freeze them whole for later use (jam/chutney etc) if you can't keep up. See if you can also give some away to people. Unfortunately or fortunately it has been a bumper harvest in NZ for plums growers this year!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415370 by kaybe
You can freeze plums for later processing in any recipe which requires cooking.

If you Google Edmond's plum sauce you will find the recipe online, but I'm sure there was a thread recently which had various recipes.

Plum jam is just pitted plums simmered until soft (use hardly any water), then add about 75-100% equal weight of sugar (ie, 1kg of plums needs 750g-1kg of sugar) stir to dissolve and bring to a rapid boil until you reach set point. Pour into clean sterilized jars and seal, yum!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415380 by muri
Also, if you cant cope with the overload, take the stones out and throw them in the deep freeze and then pull them out and cook at leisure when you are not so snowed under with plums.
I just used to cook them up with water and some honey and freeze them down in drink bottles. They made the most wonderful and sort after frozen drinks by the kids, and adults alike

More
12 years 1 month ago #415407 by Blueberry
if you freeze them halved and destoned, you can also use them for baking all winter: make light shortbread dough, flatten into tin, layer plums on top, bake, serve with vanilla ice cream. Or use puff pastry, layer with plums, sprinkle some sugar and ground nuts , pour egg custard over the lot, bake......

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 1 month ago #415413 by Andrea1
Also - if you get way over your head in plums, you can advertise them fro free on Freecycle or Locavore, and people can come and pick and use. Then they don't go to waste.

Welcome to the forum, by the way - Amberley's a lovely spot!

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds