Mestemacher

More
12 years 2 months ago #30734 by Stikkibeek
Mestemacher was created by Stikkibeek
Ok, all you Germanic or Dutch people out there. Does anybody know anything about Mestemacher German bread?

We got given a pack of it to try, and would like to know what the best toppings/spreads are to eat with it. The first bit we tried was so alien to our palates that we feel we need to put something familiar with it to improve the taste.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414255 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Mestemacher
That's a Pumpernickel dark rye bread so pretty bitter by NZ standards. Try it with cottage cheese and perhaps smoked fish, ham or salami. Maybe some avocado or a full flavoured cheese, but definitely not suited to sweet toppings. Peanut butter isn't bad either.

Very dense and filling so not to be eaten in quantity.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 2 months ago #414256 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Mestemacher
Google says

Imported from Germany! No preservatives are used in this Whole Rye Bread by Mestemacher. Kosher. High in fiber. Cholesterol-free. Natural Ingredients. Long shelf-life. Wheat free. This hearty bread is perfect for a variety of toppings from butter and cheese, to cold cuts, liverwurst and sweet toppings like jam and honey. Also delicious when toasted!

so that sounds pretty standard. I find wheat free bread very different even the white stuff. It is not one of my preferred bereads I must admit.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 2 months ago #414266 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Mestemacher
Sounds like something that would go with fruit cheeses, smooth creamy cheese and smoked fish or salami.

I think my mother used to like it with cream cheese and salmon or very thin slices of cheese (edam) or smoked beef (so finely cut you could see through it)

I never liked it as a child, but don't dislike it now.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 2 months ago #414269 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Mestemacher
Liverwurst. All time fave when I was a kid!!! Would love to be able to get decent of either German bread or liverwurst.... sigh.... (slight tummy grumble....)

More
12 years 2 months ago #414271 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Mestemacher
Well apparently there's a shop up here in the Auckland area that sells it. It is surprisingly heavy to lift such a small packet, so I am not surprised that it's eaten in moderation. It has a mixed pack of breads, the one I tried last night was Vollkornbrot, which I presume roughly translates to corn bread, but I do not know what Voll stands for. There are two packs of pumpernickel but we haven't tried that yet.
Interesting most of you recommend cheese, since I found it very salty, so cheese would have been the last thing I would have thought of.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414279 by cappina
Replied by cappina on topic Mestemacher
Mestemacher is not the best of the "Vollkornbrot" range with a long shelf life but as far as I know the only constantly available here.
Vollkornbrot translates to whole grain bread, you can see the whole grains in it which are soaked before baking.
This one is wheat free because it's made from rye, but doesn't mean it's gluten free.
We love this style of bread with Leberwurst (liverwurst) and sliced sweet and sour gherkins on top.
German bread might taste very salty to you but we (usually) don't use salted butter. If you buy a packet of standard butter in Germany it will always be unsalted (and smaller, 250g).

Stikkibeek, for a second try I would use cream cheese and smoked salmon or some tasty cheese with sliced radishes on top - I don't think you should try the liverwurst if the bread was already so alien... [;)]

Andrea, at least for liverwurst you can try Heck German Smallgoods in Chch. They have a website too with online order... :p it's not cheap but especially the smoked goods and the veal liverwurst are well worth it.

Afk - hungry now... :rolleyes:

More
12 years 2 months ago #414280 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Mestemacher
Liverwurst - I am married to a Dutch man and his foods are not necessarily my foods but that is something I love. It would work on that bread. Sometimes you can get it in the supermarket in the same place as you get luncheon sausage in chub sizes.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 2 months ago #414283 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Mestemacher
Thank you, cappina! I didn't realise they were the same as the sausage cart that floats around town (used to come down from Nelson to the Arts Centre once upon a time, I think?). They do indeed have very good stuff (expensive, yes, but a lovely treat now and again).

Hm. Just looked at the photo of the cart on the website, and I don't think it's the same outfit I was thinking of.... still, worth checking out!! DH's bday is coming up - he'd love a special feast for dinner!

More
12 years 2 months ago #414299 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Mestemacher
Andrea I think you are thinking of the Bratwurst Grill they have online ordering as well.
I think they may be at Riccarton Bush market these days in Christchurch.
Ah Pumpernickel with Gruyere heaven.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
12 years 2 months ago #414308 by cappina
Replied by cappina on topic Mestemacher

Hasbeen;410878 wrote: Andrea I think you are thinking of the Bratwurst Grill they have online ordering as well.
I think they may be at Riccarton Bush market these days in Christchurch.
Ah Pumpernickel with Gruyere heaven.

Oh, yes, I forgot Doris Bratwurst Grill... So far we just ordered from Heck and from the other butcher in Tauranga, but we like Hecks Leberwurst more...

Pumpernickel is the almost black bread - thats a hard one for beginners... :D
Vollkornbrot might be easier for a first try - I find Mestemacher pumpernickel quite sour and too crumbly.
All those breads keep very well some months without refridgeration, we used to keep a few as emergency food.

I need to stop now talking about food... :rolleyes:

More
12 years 2 months ago #414339 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Mestemacher
Liverwurst, I'm the only one in my family that eats that.

I worked in a large Deli in Wellington (Fuller Fultons) when I was still at school.

I expect that Arty imported the majority of the meats and cheeses. There was only one other shop in Wellington that had as much variety and that was the Dixon Street Deli and they were just around the corner.

The selection of small goods that you could get then in those 2 shops was far superior to any I have been in recently.

Moore Wilsons in Wellington is probably close but Masterton isn't.

I'm sure you can get authentic liverwurst at Moore Wilson's, will have to look next time I'm in town[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 2 months ago #414340 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Mestemacher
I think the one we used to buy was made by Verkeerk - this was a very long while ago

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 2 months ago #414345 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Mestemacher
This little pack contains two each of Leinsamenbrot, Pumpernickel, Sonnenkernbrot, Vollkornbrot and Fitnessbrot.

It is in a pack called Premium German bread basket. 5 varieties-10 portions.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414348 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Mestemacher
Interesting!

Personally, I LOVE Pumpernickel with raspberry jam. :p
But if I want a savoury taste I have it with Quark and fresh chives.

I've got a sausage making book from my aunt in Germany when I moved down here, and I'm looking forward to making my own Teewurst. A spread kind of like Liverwurst, but made from veal and smoked. The dutch shop in Petone sells it, but as I'm the only eating it, the portions they sell go off to quickly. I tried freezing it, but even then it deteriorated quite a bit.

Got to fix my mincer and get a sausage nozzle for it.
Anybody know anyone who sells those at a reasonable price? :rolleyes:

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds