Garlic

More
12 years 4 months ago #29742 by Hasbeen
Garlic was created by Hasbeen
By my reckoning it should be about 20 days before I harvest the garlic.
Trouble is it looks ready now.
The lower leaves are drying off.
This season is all to pot.
Has anyone else got their garlic jumping the gun?

Recovering Lifestyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402866 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Garlic
Hasbeen, glad you brought this up! I planted some elephant garlic earlier in the year without knowing anything about when or how to harvest, lol. So I'm looking forward to the answers!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402869 by railview
Replied by railview on topic Garlic
Mine too have been turning yellowish. I was wondering whether I should continue watering them or leave them to dry out ?

More
12 years 4 months ago #402874 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Garlic
Garlic does tend to do this as it reaches maturity and there is no reason to stick to the hard and fast rule of 'plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest'. I always plant well before the shortest day as garlic does well with cold conditions. I would be pulling up a plant to see what it is like at the bulb, as it is the bulb that you are concerned with and not the top of the plant that you are harvesting.
If the garlic bulb looks good, I dont see any reason to leave it in the ground if its ready.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402886 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Garlic
We'll be harvesting our garlic in late January or February, based on lunar calender. Though, judging from what we saw on a trip to BOP and Auckland we are getting far more rain than King Country north though. Our sheep are drowning in grass [:0]

The main indication is whether the bulb skin has turned papery. Pull one and see. If the skin is still thick leave them for a month.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #403555 by The Gardna
Replied by The Gardna on topic Garlic
..all garlic starts to yellow at the base right now. The plant is sending all the energy it made in the leaves and is in the process of sending it down to the bulb for storage. The plants are not so interested in making leaf..still doing some ..but for the next TWO months its all about bulb expansion.

Soooooooooo wait as long as possible...until the tops have died down to very brown indicating all the energy is out of the leaf and down in the bulb,

I still keep up the watering . The water you (or rain )supplies..plus all the goodies from the leaf are whats needed for big bulbs.Dont underestimate the need for water from now until picking. It doesnt effect keeping quality either

Yesterday I massacred three young baby bulbs to make the first pesto. I am in Whakatane and reckon they (garlic) are about half way done. Ill pull em all about mid Feb and plant brassica seedlings started in Jan imediately on harvest day

Def agree with not following the "plant shortest ..harvest longest" rule from Europe. I plant May 1 and always have HUGE crops...mainly cos of the water thing

Leave them in as long as possible

More
12 years 4 months ago #403560 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Garlic
This is all good info for us. We first grew a bumper crop 2 years ago and didn't harvest until Feb and they were great. Last year we planted in large rectangle pots, not so good. This year we have gone back to the ground and although the leaves are yellowing (husband thinks they are dying) I think they will be fine, but will probably wait until Feb. I might pull one in a month and see though.
Saw some lovely new season ones in Pak n Save this week, I think $22 per kg, which I don't mind paying as they are NZ grown and I only buy 2 -3 bulbs at a time.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403595 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Garlic
The optimum is when the outer covering 'skin' is paper thin. Thicker than that and they will retain too much moisture for good keeping, but leave them in too long and the skin breaks resulting in loose outer cloves which dry out and don't keep well either.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds