Stuff to plant for a veggie garden I will not harvest

More
12 years 8 months ago #28858 by kai
We are moving soon (I hope). The veggie garden was neglected last year as I had a tunnel house to play with. I now want to make the veggie garden look like a veggie garden pronto, without too much effort..
What crops are going to give maximum impact visually in the shortest space of time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393486 by Hawkspur
Hmm...carrots have nice fluffy tops that won't show insect damage so look good easily :)

Zucchini is a quick space filler if your garden is warm enough for this now.

Peas and beans are fairly quick to pop up and look like something :D

More
12 years 8 months ago #393491 by Mich
Maximum impact in a short space of time? Radishes, silverbeet (specially if bought in punnets from the garden centre), lettuces and herbs (ditto). Transplant some rhubarb perhaps? Maybe some strawberry plants? As Hawkspur said, peas and beans, specially if you can get them growing up a trellis or something, are great. Also maybe plant some marigolds in between the veges - helps fill in gaps, as well as being good for reducing nematode damage in crops.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 7 months ago #394434 by dj_fitzm
Sweetpeas though not a vege but looks good in the vege garden. Alysumm (?) again flowers but looks pretty. Lettuces as Mich has mentioned, especially if you can get punnets of it from the garden centre. All those Chinese vege like bok choy, taisoi etc grows very quickly. Depending on how long you are going to be there, you can also grow some veges and annuals in your tunnel house then 'on-grow' them in the vege garden. For instant effect you can sink some pots in, people don't have to know they are not in the vege garden all the time ;)

More
12 years 7 months ago #394452 by Andrea1
But if you get quick growth, and there's no one there to harvest, then you soon have seedy, weedy looking plants that have bolted and then go brown. Why not just plant a green manure to keep weeds down, and which will be very useful to the future gardener?

More
12 years 7 months ago #394457 by Organix
NZ Spinach? Potatoes?

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 7 months ago #394515 by 72hours
Leeks!
They grow nice and big and green, even when they're small they're still visible. And they take AGES to go to seed......

More
12 years 7 months ago #394520 by Seaside
Garlic chives, globe artichokes.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 7 months ago #394595 by Blueberry
shame you're so far the other end of the country, kai - i'd have loads of seedlings to share :)

Edible Taro, herbs like lemon balm, potatoes, broad beans come up 'in volume', and don't go ugly too fast. Yacon, Jerusalem Artichoke, Choko, Globe artichoke along the boundaries - again add volume, and need the full season to produce.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds