Removing labels from glass jars?

More
12 years 9 months ago #28442 by Lindeggs
Is there an easier way to do this than just soaking and scraping?

I reuse glass jars for all kinds of home-made chutneys etc, but getting the labels off the jars is a never-ending chore. I seem to put more effort into cleaning the jars than I do into making the contents!

Do you have any tips?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #388737 by xevbellringer
Fill each jar with boiling water, or microwave until the water boils in them - glue melts & label slides off whole.

More
12 years 9 months ago #388745 by kai
crc once the paper bit has gone. leave it on for a couple of minutes before wiping off.

More
12 years 9 months ago #388746 by Andrea1
If you don't have a dishwasher, which is brilliant for getting labels off (just have to strip them off as soon as the cycle has finished, minus the heat-dry portion), I find soaking in warm, soapy water and then finish off with acetone/nail varnish remover works well.

More
12 years 9 months ago #388757 by Stikkibeek
Oil of citronella will help to remove the glue, if you can stand the smell of it. Not all glues are made equal though, and some are just a pain in the butt to remove.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 9 months ago #388761 by morioka
A bit of Turps dabbed on the left over glue cleans them up a treat - just make sure you wash them well in hot soapy water afterwards

More
12 years 9 months ago #388768 by Hasbeen
I soak off the paper, rub used cooking oil on glue & leave overnight than hot wash.
Good as new.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
12 years 9 months ago #388777 by kaponga

Stikkibeek;382743 wrote: Oil of citronella will help to remove the glue, if you can stand the smell of it. Not all glues are made equal though, and some are just a pain in the butt to remove.

Never tried oil of citronella; but agree whole heartedly that not all glues are made equal.

I've had some jars go through the wash, heat and jam cycle a dozen times or more, and then one day the glue gave up and the label came off in the oven. Stubborn being an understatement.

I discovered a product named 'Peel Off', comes in a spray can from the engineering supply store, but figure you should be able to find it at places like Mitre 10. Its great, just eats the glue, may take a couple of goes of soaking and peeling on the stubborn glues, but I'm gradually getting all my jars free of labels. A great deal easier than soapy water [;)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #388784 by DiDi
So easy - you go to your hardware store and you buy a product called De-Solv-it - magic. I used it this morning to take the glue/labels etc off Moccona coffee jars and no issue.

However, be warned that if you have the labels that have like a plastic cover over them i.e. break this seal on Moccona jars, then you strip the top layer off (easy) and put this product on what is left. Easy Peasy.

More
12 years 8 months ago #388832 by Hasbeen
I agree De-Solv-it is great & I have used it but it costs money.

Used cooking oil is a waste product costs nothing & works just as well.
Just massage it into the glue & leave over night.
Bung it in a hot wash or put it in the dish washer.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
12 years 8 months ago #388836 by Organix
Some manufacturers seem to be using label adhesive that is almost impossible to remove these days. Those jars end up in the recycle bin and that brand is put on the blacklist.

We often buy organic products and the trend seems to be for a easy peel-off plastic label on many brands so the problem doesn't exist there.

Meths, turps, eucalyptus oil and acetone all work on various labels but De-Solv-It works on virtually everything and as a once only (per jar) use is a minimal cost but if that is an issue save it as a last resort only.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 8 months ago #388839 by The Kats Place
I'm with hasbeen, quick, easy, cheap and smells nice

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 8 months ago #388900 by 4trees
Tea Tree Oil, is good for removing labels and glue. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #388923 by eelcat
We recycle some of our jars - the labels are, one would think, all the same, but sometimes the labels come off, and sometimes they don't. We prefer people who return jars to us, not to have really tried to get them off as sometimes that makes it worse. We just wash them in hot soapy water, but not for too long. If we leave them in the water for too long, the labels start to dissolve, and then one has a devil of a job removing them. Occasionally a bit of glue is left but I scrub that with a pot scrub, before putting the now label-less jars in the dishwasher for a 70 degree wash.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 8 months ago #388936 by stephclark
i am with organix.. its the cheeper house brands seem to use superglue.. i dont even bother.. the likes of the bertolli or 5 brothers spag sauces.. lables come off piece of cake .. just warm water.. :D

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds