pressure cooker vs slow cooker

More
13 years 1 month ago #26955 by sandra1245
Hi all
Has anybody got some advice to share on these gadgets please?
When it comes to pressure cookers,stove top or electric?
I have a slowcooker which I've used alot but needs the lid replaced (not under warranty) and have been wondering if I get a pressurecooker instead of replacing the lid for the slowcooker which is about $50

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #372928 by eelcat
We have both, but I tend not to use the pressure cooker - with the slow cooker I can throw dinner together and forget. With the pressure cooker I feel I ought to be there.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 1 month ago #372936 by Organix
Taste and nutritional value of foods are retained better in a slow cooker than when using a pressure cooker.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 1 month ago #372939 by stephclark

Organix;365196 wrote: Taste and nutritional value of foods are retained better in a slow cooker than when using a pressure cooker.

emm not too sure that is correct.. i was recently reading an item on pressure cookers and how they are making abit of a come back..

you may be right.. i have used pressure cookers for years... absolutely brilliant, the toughest, cheapest cuts are always tender and moist and sooo quickly..( bung out a silverside and veg dinner in 40mins ) i find the flavour is better out of the PC than the slow cooker as well..
i very rarely use my slow cooker.. dont like the idea of leaving it on when i am not around to keep an eye on it ( fear of fire )....

More
13 years 1 month ago #372953 by Blueberry

Organix;365196 wrote: Taste and nutritional value of foods are retained better in a slow cooker than when using a pressure cooker.

I think there's as much 'scientific' evidence for it as against it :D [}:)]

for me, it's a size, time, convenience and flavour decision. slow cooker takes bigger pieces of meat. If i get around to starting it when leaving for work, i don't need to worry about dinner. Something i particularly appreciate in winter. Since eating more of my food raw, i don't use either so much any more. Still, a nice, thick vege soup in 15 mins flat is hard to beat on a cold night.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
13 years 1 month ago #372992 by Stikkibeek
Pressure cookers are great for some things and slow cookers better for other things. I have found that slow cooker food tends to taste all the same no matter what the cut of meat. I'm going to try a few different things with mine this year though, like steamed pudding for instance

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 1 month ago #372996 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic pressure cooker vs slow cooker
Speaking of which - my move unearthed a recipe book for a Pressure Cooker (I don't have one so obviously inherited from my Mum (94). It is a Presto Cooker Recipe Book from the National Pressure Cooker co (England) Ltd. As for age - no idea except that it has a crocheted doily printed on the front cover. :eek:

I'm sure there would be a few on here busting to know how to cook things like Stuffed Hearts, Oxtail with herbs or for dessert Steamed Fig or Date Pudding, Bread Pudding or what about Brown Betty. Lots of Stock recipies etc. :D

Bear in mind, all recipes are in Imperial measurements. Not too big so easy to post.

More
13 years 1 month ago #373009 by spoook
Didi, I am sure I have that booklet too. Must be a collector's item by now [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 1 month ago #373188 by sandra1245
Thanks for you feedback! There are so many differient types of pressure cookers out there! It's getting the best value for money! I like the idea of having a meal cooked in a short amount of time.When/if I find one I'l let you all know how I'm doing with it!

More
13 years 1 month ago #373204 by NZ Appaloosas
My personal preference is the slow cooker, but that's mostly because pressure cookers "scare" me. My mother never used one while I was growing up, and my auntie's used to hiss and spit and pretty much terrify me when I was there and she was using it. Hubby cooks in the pressure cooker, if the slow cooker is being used, I'm usually the one cooking

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 1 month ago #373417 by KiplingAngel
OOh DiDi

I would love to see some of those old recipies - heart is a wonderful and yet underrated meat, full of nutrition and flavour. Mostly I just mince up the heart with beef for meatloaf - and the family can hardly tell what I've done...

Any of those old recipies would be simply wonderful - oh, and being Canadian, I also speak Imperial...lol

More
13 years 1 month ago #373421 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic pressure cooker vs slow cooker
No problem - you are the first taker so PM me your postal details (a name too-LOL) and I will send it to you. I have a Canadian daughter!

More
13 years 1 month ago #373440 by eelcat
Saw advertised this morning a machine that is both pressure cooker and slow cooker. $299 from Breville (I think)

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 1 month ago #373442 by stephclark

NZ Appaloosas;365492 wrote: My personal preference is the slow cooker, but that's mostly because pressure cookers "scare" me. My mother never used one while I was growing up, and my auntie's used to hiss and spit and pretty much terrify me when I was there and she was using it. Hubby cooks in the pressure cooker, if the slow cooker is being used, I'm usually the one cooking

Diane

:D :D .. i know exactly how you feel... if mone starts making strange noises.. i bravely send hubby in to investigate :D

More
13 years 1 month ago #373447 by Andrea1
I have both, and definitely use the pressure cooker more than the slow cooker, by at least twice as often. But then I do a lot of bean and pulse dishes, and they're brilliant for cooking beans in no time (as in 15 minutes for soaked beans versus 2-3 hours for soaked beans).

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds