Ginger Beer Bug

More
13 years 1 month ago #26429 by highgirl
Ginger Beer Bug was created by highgirl
I've been trying to start a ginger beer bug and it seems to form a layer on the top...it's hard to describe but it's like a thin coating of white (like mould I guess)

Is this normal or is it going mouldy? I threw the last one out and started again but the same thing has happened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #367289 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic Ginger Beer Bug
sounds like the yeast doing its thing

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
13 years 1 month ago #367293 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ginger Beer Bug
When I get a chance I will hunt out the old 1ZB recipe (ex Aunt Daisy) for a gingerbeer bug. I remember you strain and bottle every day. But first you have to establish the bug and you do that by straining the first few lots of liquid off and throw it away, but retain the bug at the bottom. You get clearer GB if you do this first as it establishes the bug. Important not to stir it up too much. Then you feed the plant/bug again with sugar and lemon juice, ginger and water and a pinch of ascorbic acid. After a couple of days you should be able to strain and bottle every 24 hours. Divide the plant if it gets too hot, and you can start a second one, or pass on to a friend.

When I find I will post it here.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 1 month ago #367297 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Ginger Beer Bug
Thanks Stikkibeek, the recipe you mention sounds much better than what I've been doing. It could well be just the yeast doing it's thing but it'd be good to try again with a fresh recipe.

I've always loved ginger beer and it'll be so nice to be able to make my own :D

More
13 years 1 month ago #367366 by BHGS
Replied by BHGS on topic Ginger Beer Bug
This looks like a promising ginger beer recipe. :) I think I'll give it another go. I tried a few years ago and while it tasted quite good, I had to open bottles outside or over the bath :confused: and never got more than a half full bottle as it all fizzed out so enthusiastically.

I'd love to get the Aunt Daisy recipe too. I remember my piano teacher when I was a kid giving me ginger beer to drink. She also tried giving me Gb bugs so I could make my own, but I was too lazy to feed it consistently [:I] (nearly as lazy about that as I was about piano practice:D).

Cheers
Hilary,
Just me, partner and son, suburban backyard chooks (3), cats (2) veggies (variable) and weeds (eternally thriving)[:p]

More
13 years 1 month ago #367374 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Ginger Beer Bug
this one i unsed to make and it was easy and always a good brew
plant
8 sultanas
4tsps sugar
2tsps ginger
juice 2 lemoins
1 tsp lemon pulp
2 cups cold water.. leave for 2-4 days to ferment
to feed
2tsp ginger
4 tsp sugar.. once a day for a week

to make

4 cups boiling water ( 1 lite )
4 cups sugar
juice 4 lemons
28 cups cold water ( 7 litres )
liquid from plant

reduce sediment from plant by 1/2 add 2 cups cold water and feed as before for another week

More
13 years 1 month ago #367382 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Ginger Beer Bug
This is my grandfathers recipe and no bug is required. I have made it several times and it is very good

Poppa’s Ginger Beer

Ingredients
One Gallon (8 pints) 5 Gallons (22 liters)

1½ teaspoons ground ginger 2oz 50gm
31/2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar 4oz 100gm
1 lb Sugar 5lb 2kg
11/2 Lemons 6 lemons
½ slice toast 1 slice toast

Method

Dissolve ginger, cream of tartar and sugar in one gallon of hot water.
Cut up lemons into small slices.
Place into keg with ginger.
Add 4 gallons of cold water and slice of toast.
Let stand for two days
Strain and bottle.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
13 years 1 month ago #367383 by celt
Replied by celt on topic Ginger Beer Bug
is there a difference between ginger ale and ginger beer?

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
13 years 1 month ago #367553 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Ginger Beer Bug
hmm...good question...I'd have to say yes because they taste different, but I'm not sure what the difference is sorry.

More
13 years 1 month ago #367679 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Ginger Beer Bug
I would dare to suggest that Ginger Ale is a carbonated drink flavored with ginger and corn syrup.

Ginger Beer should be a fermented drink made by growing a ginger beer bug and then bottling, this drink has varying degrees of alcohol.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 1 month ago #367685 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ginger Beer Bug
Here we go. This is the old Aunt Daisy recipe that we used when we were kids and it makes delicious ginger beer

Put following into a large 2 quart jar : One small cup of warm water1 dessertspoon of sugar, 1 desert spoons of ground ginger, 2 teaspoons of compressed yeast dissolved in a little warm water. Let all stand 24 hours.
This is the "plant"
In a jug, mix 1 small cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 cut up lemonwithout the white pith. Add enough hot water to dissolve the sugar, add cold water to make it luke warm, then pur onto the plant.Top the jar right up with water and leave 24 hours.
Strain off through muslin, bottle and cork tightly (Home brew bottles are good with their screw caps)Make up another mixture as before to pour on the "plant" Never leave more than 24 hours. If the plant gets too hot, it can be divided Never have more than ¼ to ½ inch of plant in the bottom of jar.

We used to divide the mixture between two 1 quart jars and that would make two bottles at a time. Leave for a week at least and refrigerate before opening.

I do not recommend putting raisins in the mix as it makes the ginger beer too gassy and can cause bottles to explode. You can substitute lemon with about ½ tsp of ascorbic acid, but it does need lemon to help keep the plant alive.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds