Roasting Chestnuts properly

More
14 years 1 month ago #325850 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly
Mollymop I am equally confused by the descriptions as well. Our chestnuts in their spikey green casing start off round and green, fall to the ground where the casing turns brown and splits open.

Sometimes this also happens on the tree.

the middle 'nut' is round tear drop/not quite egg shape and surrounded by two thin nuts of equal height, and what we have been feeding to the hogs, cows and horse and what we tried to roast but got a mash potato result last winter.

i must take a photo of our tree and crop for better identification.... but both descriptions so far would mean we have both types of chestnut, in the one tree....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #325873 by BillyTheTractor
ok first pic is a sweet chestnut that you eat
second is a chestnut/conker you can't eat!

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Wee Farm

More
14 years 1 month ago #326362 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly
Reporting back..... well I slit, boiled for 10 minutes, wrapped several times around in foil and poked some small holes, put on the embers in the log burner for five minutes per side (a bit longer on the second side as I was stuck in the middle of an email when the time went off), and the were DELICIOUS. Were still firm (not powdery) but had that 'essence of bonfire'. One or two of the smaller ones were slightly over-burnt, but I think that's because the flesh was exposed as the shell was smaller than the nut.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 1 month ago #326522 by Mollymop
Thanks Swaggie, but after seeing the pics from Billy, I'm even more confused....the chestnuts I have don't look like either one. There are no spikes on the husk, just a brownish/green smooth skin but like yours they do "fall to the ground where the casing turns brown and splits open". Should add that the skin (or casing) is quite thin, if that makes any difference.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds