Roasting Chestnuts properly

More
14 years 1 month ago #22614 by max2
its chesnut season again and last year I tried to roast some chestnuts but all I got was a mashed potato effect. is there a tried and true method please?

Its nearly cold enough to throw them in the combustion fire if that helps.... perhaps wrapped in decent foil?

Is it possible to roast a chestnut and then use the bits for muesli or a nut mix? We eat a lot of unsalted nut mix here that we buy in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #324953 by smurfette
My dad always told me to boil chestnuts so I have been. This time I thought I'd roast them (as you see all the americans doing) but didn't know how so I just put them in the oven with the chicken (on another tray lol) and took them out when they changed colour, bout 10-15 mins and now I would like to know how you are supose to eat them correctly? When boiled they seem to stay firm but roasted they go mashey like yours Swaggie. Tried peeling them but get all the brown furry stuff and if we use a spoon after cutting them in half we end up spitting out the husky bits like popcorn.
How does everyone else eat their's?

I'll keep that. It will come in handy one day.:D:D:D

More
14 years 1 month ago #324968 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly
Mmmmmm, chestnuts :D I boil mine or even risk them in the microwave, fine timing between cooked and exploded.
To eat them I just cut or bite them open and peel the shell/ husk off. I do try to peel of the bitter skin but it is not always that easy.

As the chestnut is so moist I doubt you could keep it for long like other nuts to add to meusli etc. Would be nice for a few days.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 1 month ago #324975 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly
I poke a hole in them, double wrap them in tin foil, and roast them in the log burner once flames have died down. You need a long pair of tongs and a steady hand. Haven't roasted any this year yet and I have a memory like a sieve, but I seem to remember that after a bit of experimentation, about 10 minutes was right.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 1 month ago #325277 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly
Many thanks, I will give them another go on Saturday.

In the meanwhile we are adding them to pig tucker, cow chow and Billy the horse gets a couple as a treat. nice to see they are not being wasted either way.

More
14 years 1 month ago #325297 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly
I use an old iron pan I keep just for them on the log burner.
Slit side of nuts with sharp paring knife or a pair of sharp scissors. Watch out for fingers.
Fill pan with single layer of chestnuts; add about 2 tablespoons water
Put lid on & cook till shell is dark & slit has spread open-- you can poke with a sharp point to see if soft.

Cool a bit, scoop out, eat with butter.
Enjoy[^] oops I am dribbling[:0][:I]

Recovering Lifestyler

More
14 years 1 month ago #325315 by LongRidge
Hasbeen, that is almost the same as I do in the Nuke machine. When micro-ing I let the bit of water boil vigorously, then cool quickly by putting cold water into the pot. Then they are easy to peel and peel.

More
14 years 1 month ago #325335 by Kermitnz
Hi guys :D can I ask (probably a silly question), but are you talking about just the ordinary every day chestnuts? the ones we used to make conkers out of at school? (does that make me sound old???) [:I]

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
14 years 1 month ago #325344 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Roasting Chestnuts properly

Kermitnz;311415 wrote: Hi guys :D can I ask (probably a silly question), but are you talking about just the ordinary every day chestnuts? the ones we used to make conkers out of at school? (does that make me sound old???) [:I]

NO! [B)][B)][B)][B)] Horse chestnuts are for conkers and sweet chestnuts are for eating....

Web Goddess

More
14 years 1 month ago #325361 by Seaside
Hey Kermitnz, ditto what Kate said. Horse chestnuts are round-ish and are very bitter. They grow in pods that are spiked. Sweet chestnuts are somewhat tear-shaped. The grow in pods that are a like a million needles.

Our sweet chestnuts are just starting to fall (I have the puncture marks on my hands to prove it). I prefer to roast rather than steam chestnuts for that 'almost burnt' flavour that I'm partial to, and that comes with memories of Oxford Street, London on a cold winter's day just before Christmas (they have - or used to- guys on the street corner selling bags of hot, roast chestnuts right from the roaster). Steaming, though, I expect would produce a more reliable and user-friendly result.

www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 1 month ago #325378 by Kermitnz
Ahhhhhhhh thank you guys !!!! :D

I was sure years ago someone told me you can't eat the normal chestnuts. But after reading these posts I thought "maybe I heard him wrong"

Being the hunter, gatherer, squirreling food away person that I am, I thought I may have over looked another supply of free food... that would rot my socks :p

Oh well, I will have to keep my eyes peeled one day I might see a sweet chestnut tree!!!

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
14 years 1 month ago #325470 by BillyTheTractor
Oh how I love roast chestnuts! We always had them in winter when I was wee.
I do them the way my dad always did them. Slit them with a knife, boil them for about 10 minutes ( you can actually peel them now and eat them) then get the old coal shovel out, put the chestnuts on it and put it on top of the coal in the fire till the nuts are roasted - ok I don't totally do it this way as we don't have an open coal fire ( or a shovel) What I do have is a frying pan thing made for roasting chestnuts - its got holes in the bottom and you can put it on the stove top.
Perfect :D
You have to eat them off a sheet of newspaper laid flat on the floor. Get a sharp knife to peel the skin off, sprinkle with salt. It is also absolutely necessary to burn your fingers as you can't wait till they cool enough.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 1 month ago #325511 by chicken_itis
Chickens love them too! [:I] I have been cooking them a few pots of diced up ones lately and it keeps them busy pecking all day :)

More
14 years 1 month ago #325819 by Seaside
BTT, I think you've hit the nut on the head. Boiling then roasting must be the way to go to get intact roasted nuts I'm going to try it tonight! Let you know how it works out.

www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 1 month ago #325826 by Mollymop
Hi there - I'm afraid I'm following on the lines of KermitNZ....been told our tree is a Horse Chestnut (conkers). Nuts grow in pods, round shape and dark, but not a "spiked" husk and wondered if anyone knows of ANY use for the nuts as the tree produces about 1000 each season? If not collected, they will sprout!

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds