Harvesting Asparagus

More
14 years 7 months ago #20045 by Neverathome stayhomemum
Hi all
I have a plot of 3 year old asparagus and it is going great! After waiting (not very patiently) it is now in full swing... is there an easy way to tell when I should stop picking the spears?

I seem to remember someone saying that when the spears coming up are about the same thickness as a pencil to stop picking them and let them grown out to get energy for the next year...

Any thoughts :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #296191 by bridgierapa
Replied by bridgierapa on topic Harvesting Asparagus
I was always taught 'stop picking 1 december.' but for your first year (ie the 3rd plant year) maybe stop picking 1 Nov? give it more of a chance to get going.

but I'd wait for corroborative advice before you go about doing anything I say LOL! mine are 3 yrs old and I've had to MOVE them so will have to wait another year or three. Boy, that's upsetting. They're poking their little noses through the ground now, temptingly.

More
14 years 7 months ago #296198 by wiredkiwi
Replied by wiredkiwi on topic Harvesting Asparagus
Hi Nan,

Throughout the life of my plants (now about 6, but really 8 as planted 2yr old crowns) I have stopped picking them only when they started to bolt to fern before forming proper spears. Hasn't seemed to affect the cropping in subsequent years at all. Most years I'll get asparagus right through til Christmas, but last year was into early Feb, I think because it was such a cold summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds