Recipes for using up LOTS of eggs up at once?

More
14 years 7 months ago #294559 by Andrea1
Yeah, I know, that's where I first had one... YUCK!

I don't know about preparing the pigs' trotters. In my experience it's a Mexican thing, something my dad grew up with - said he was given them as treats!! Only tried one once. Never again.

Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #294560 by moggy
funny how a delicacy in one place is revolting in another.
I lived in Sweden for a time, a place where they pickled everything even fish. But my pickled eggs, they looked at with horror.

More
14 years 7 months ago #294562 by moggy
I would add that if you have only ever had the one, then try pickling your own, it does make a difference what pickling spices you use. I personally don't like eggs pickled in malt vinegar, it has to be white.

More
14 years 7 months ago #294564 by Simkin
I've got a recipe for pickled pigs trotters somewhere. I've made pickled pork. It's served with pickled gherkins and potato salad. That's quite nice but those trotters have too much of skin and tendons and stuff so not to my kind of liking.

If anyone is seriously interested in pickled pigs trotters I'll try to find that recipe. It's just a way of making use of something that's often thrown out.

More
14 years 7 months ago #294583 by Cate
Biscotti uses 1/2 dozen and keeps really well. Also remember you can freeze raw eggs for use later. Medium size GLAD box holds 6 eggs, small ones 3 etc and then use for baking or scrambling.

Cate

More
14 years 7 months ago #294590 by The Kats Place
the freeze quite well fried and free flowed, and handy to grap out one or two for a toasted bacon and egg muffin

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #295047 by bridgierapa
lemon honey only takes 2 eggs for 2 small jars - not enough. sadly I've posted on the wrong thread already, on the 'the result' thread but shall quickly recap again here. thanks for the pickled egg idea - I LOVE THEM. and also I forgot to mention curried eggs.

pavalova, bacon & egg pie, egg salad for sandwiches, sponge kisses or indeed any sponge, custard.

More
14 years 7 months ago #295398 by Andrea1
Thanks again for the ideas and reminders (I love curried eggs, how could I forget that one!) - when faced with a huge pile of eggs, ones mind tends to go blank...

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 7 months ago #295600 by Rustie
So to freeze them, you just whisk them in quantities and then freeze? And just defrost and use in baking, etc?

I've never done this but really should for use in the winter!! :)

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

More
14 years 7 months ago #295742 by Cate
I as told to break the yolk into the white with a fork (rather than whisking) and add a small pinch of salt. Has worked for me over the last few winters.

Cate

More
14 years 7 months ago #295799 by Kiwi.n.koala
i have a recipe for a very rich truffle cake that uses about 8 eggs again not for every day but then if you have 70 eggs why not!!!!!!

More
14 years 7 months ago #295807 by Andrea1
Yes, please... I'm game for any new recipes.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 7 months ago #295827 by Kiwi.n.koala
From Digby Law, 250 g butter, 250g dark cooking chocolate, 8 eggs seperated, 250g sugar, 250g ground almonds, 150 g extra chocolate to decorate.
Method
melt butter and choc together in bowl over pot of simering water set aside to cool ( i use microwave on low)
Seperate the eggs putting both into large bowls beat yols with sugar until pale and thick then stir in almonds and colled butter and chocolate. Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
Pour into greased and lined tin 23- 25 cm bake at 180c for a hour or until skewer comes out clean
allow to cool in tin and to decorate melt chocolate and cover cake sprinkle with sliced almonds

enjoy

More
14 years 7 months ago #296194 by bridgierapa
Oh devil's food cake! that's coming up a dozen eggs!

and of course frittata which I think may already have been mentioned...

More
14 years 7 months ago #296244 by Andrea1
I made yet another frittata today (spinach, feta and nutmeg and 20 eggs!!), as well as some very moist poppy seed muffins (with duck eggs... the young IR ducks have really hit their stride!), and a big pile of little dutch babies (sort of like yorkshire puddings, but flat, as we make them GF in place of bread for sandwiches, etc.).

Devil's food cake... yummmers...

I have almost everything I need for the cake recipe posted by KnK above, but not enough chocolate (horrors!). Have to go to town for the big fortnightly shop tomorrow, so must get it then.

Andrea
Oxford

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds