Peas - the shop bought variety

More
14 years 7 months ago #19751 by ronnie
A well known brand of peas were on special a while ago so I bought a couple of packets of them. Boy are they awful[xx(] They are tough, taste foul, supposed to be minted but no taste of mint anywhere and generally not nice.
Very disappointed in them. Have been buying a cheaper brand until now, and will certainly be going back to them.

Anyone else struck this issue???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292505 by reggit
I love home grown peas, can't stand the frozen ones, over the years have encountered too many that are hard and nasty :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #292512 by OakhengeFarm
I was horrified to note that some brands are actually imported from China! Check signature range and home brand - the cheaper they are, the more likely to come from China - I only buy peas and corn, so haven't checked out other varieties.

I always check the origin, so I can't comment on what the chinese veges taste like.

Why on earth is New Zealand importing frozen vegetables anyway - aren't we one of the main vege exporting nations? Or is it the same as with meat - we export the good stuff, and import the cheap and nasty?

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 7 months ago #292535 by Organix

OakhengeFarm;275130 wrote: ........Why on earth is New Zealand importing frozen vegetables anyway - aren't we one of the main vege exporting nations? Or is it the same as with meat - we export the good stuff, and import the cheap and nasty?

It's more about the price returned to the grower is so much better for export than domestic market. Who in their right mind would sell their crop for a fraction of the price of export return unless it was substandard for that purpose.

The result is then that we are forced to either pay prices equivalent to export (i.e. expensive) for our food or import it from countries who can produce food a lot cheaper than we can.
It's called globalisation :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 7 months ago #292584 by The Kats Place
You will have to grow you own for next year Ronnie and freeze them - in you spare time :) [;)]

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #292590 by ronnie

The Kats Place;275204 wrote: You will have to grow you own for next year Ronnie and freeze them - in you spare time :) [;)]

Haha

More
14 years 7 months ago #292681 by The Kats Place
thought that would give you a laugh!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #292928 by ronnie
Rang their 0800 customer support number today to complain about these peas. No drama at all. She just took my details and said "thank you very much for phoning us today, and your vouchers for replacement product is on its way"
That's fine, but the vouchers won't be used to buy their peas again. Luckily, they have a huge range of other stuff I can use them on. Her only other comment was that she bought their peas and had no problem with them - lucky her.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292938 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Peas - the shop bought variety
She would get them very cheap I guess :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 7 months ago #295059 by bridgierapa
I asked the kids the other week if they liked peas enough to help shell them. THEY SAID YES!!! (sorry!) So we'll do a few packets of peas & see how long that lasts us. I buy Pam's baby peas at the mo because they're sweet & tender. but will grow maybe 2 packets of peas as my nitrogen/compost crop this year and see how many make it to the freezer!

Maybe I can invite friends over for pea-pod-parties. but they'd probably want to take some home... :( Shall have to think about this.

More
14 years 7 months ago #295076 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Peas - the shop bought variety
Careful when they are young n tender we eat them pod and all in passing yum so need lots to get any to freezer :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 7 months ago #295328 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Peas - the shop bought variety
We had the same problem too (was it a blue pack?) bought up big on the sale ( and as the deep freeze is in full swing with collustrum) and we found them hard regardless of how long they were cooked. I wondered if they knew about the problem and thus why they were on sale....

anyhow gone back to wattie baby peas again although E is growing ''a'' pea plant as part of her home gardening effort. [;)][;)]

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds