What's eating my rhubarb?

More
14 years 7 months ago #292526 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
My in barrel Rhubarb is ready to pick; the in ground stuff just vanished .
1 sad little detached leaf left[xx(]

No idea what got it.

Recovering Lifestyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292529 by digby
Replied by digby on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
don't worry about it. Rhubarb must be the worst vege out. Let whoever wants it have it, then you won't have to eat it.
Consider it a bonus that something has taken it off your hands! ;)

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #295060 by bridgierapa
Shame on you digby!

just throw some chicken wire or similar over it and see if that makes a diff. having said this I am sure there's some kind of caterpillar that eats it. If it doesn't seem to be birds spray the leaves with pyrethrum or just keep up the derris dust. I think I've seen whitefly hanging around it before too. there's something that can lay eggs in their stalks (but when you cook it nobody knows but you!) which must crawl up the stalk eating the innards.

but mainly feed it like mad, water it heaps and it'll outgrow most of what happens to it in my experience. It's worth it! I'm up to 6 plants now and I still feel I could put a few more in!

More
14 years 7 months ago #295086 by david brooks
What you need to do is go out there this evening after dark with a torch and have a close look at your rhubarb. One of two pests that will eat the leaves are both snails and slugs and this will be your most likely problem if animals are not feeding on them. Please let me know if you find something.

More
14 years 7 months ago #295088 by david brooks
If snails & slugs have been having supper on your plants the eggs would have still been there, they would hatch and continue the cycle. Also at this time of the year slugs & snails can be a problem in our garden. These critters will cover quite some distance to obtain a snack in our gardens.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds