What's eating my rhubarb?

More
14 years 7 months ago #19703 by pkb
The rhubarb in the garden has been in the same location since we moved here 5 years ago and has never had any problems. From about 2 months ago, something started eating the leaves; I raised and divided it, but whoever is eating it has found my newer location too. So what eats rhubarb leaves, and how do I stop it? I tried derris dust because I had some lying around, but that did no good.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #291973 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Rhubarb leaves are pretty toxic. How bad is the damage? Not much to go on in your post. Some photos perhaps.... :confused:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 7 months ago #291974 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Could it be slugs? Try looking at dusk to see if the slimy critters are chomping your leaves.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #291979 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Chooks LOVE rhubarb leaves at this time of year. If the green bits are eaten and a bit of skeleton left then I would very much suspect chooks. Btw - the rhubarb leaves have never done any harm to my chooks and some are getting really elderly these days.

More
14 years 7 months ago #291998 by OakhengeFarm
Pukekos proved to be the culprits with my rhubarb. They were also responsible for "unplanting" most of my brassicas, and dug up and ate half the saffron corms.

Please somebody, tell me these $%^#@@ have some good points?

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 7 months ago #292002 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic What's eating my rhubarb?

OakhengeFarm;274568 wrote: Please somebody, tell me these $%^#@@ have some good points?

They have nice feathers, and are funny to look at...[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292003 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Goats like rhubarb.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292016 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
It's not chooks - we don't have any. The green parts of the leaves are eaten right back to the skeleton. The small leaves go quickly now, but when I had bigger leaves, they didn't take that long to be eaten right away. The stalks aren't touched. Whoever is eating it must be surviving the toxins since they come back for more!

Haven't seen pukekos anywhere near that area...we do get turkeys coming through though; might they eat it? And what about possums?

More
14 years 7 months ago #292111 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Hi PKB, I think you have the problem that we had a few weeks ago, we covered ours with a stretchy black plastic netting, set the Possum Trap and there was the culprit, in fact two of them, and now we have beautiful rhubarb leaves growing back again. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #292464 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Can I ask a question about rubarb please. Last year I hadn't noticed it when it came up behind some other vegetables until it was well grown but his year I have two leaves that have just broken through the soil. No problem with that but are they meant to be so wrinkly? Super super wrinkly? If it is not a disease and that is normal, what do you recommend feeding it. Thanks.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292466 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Wrinkly leaves poking through is normal-and feed rhubarb lots and lots of manure!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292487 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
We mulched our rhubarb with sheep dags. Seems to work.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #292497 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Thanks for that. I am about to clean up my sheep's bottoms so that is an easy fix. Oooh - rhubarb and apple pie. Mouth watering.....

More
14 years 7 months ago #292503 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic What's eating my rhubarb?
Possums? I guess I'll send somebody out with a gun then. Pity rhubarb doesn't disagree with them!

More
14 years 7 months ago #292518 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic What's eating my rhubarb?

OakhengeFarm;274568 wrote: Pukekos proved to be the culprits with my rhubarb. They were also responsible for "unplanting" most of my brassicas, and dug up and ate half the saffron corms.

Please somebody, tell me these $%^#@@ have some good points?

They explode nicely when you put a 180gn round nose .303 through them at 2400 FPS :D

Just wait for the season ;)

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds