Your choice of tomato

More
14 years 9 months ago #282327 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Your choice of tomato
I've tried Brandywine pink, Broad ripple yellow currant (a koanga heirloom variety), Money Maker, Purple Cherokee and Tigerella. For me in the Waikato Tigerella seems the most resistant of the large ones to rot, is very productive and has good flavour. Broad ripple yellow currant is also good, but tends to take over everything with its enormous rambling bushes. Very good flavour though - best cherry tomato I have tasted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #282356 by Jen - Featherston
Good old Early Girls for me I love sweet 100's too :)

Early girls have nice firm flesh, sweet, juicy but not wet. Bold tart flavour and freeze well with their skin on as they dont have folds for the skin to get stuck - so a quick run under the tap and a frozen tom the skin slips straight off :D

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
14 years 9 months ago #282358 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Your choice of tomato
I agree with Furball's tigerella. It wasn't the first tomato off the block, however it was very flavoursome, looks lovely, and is resistant to rot and splitting.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #282595 by rodami
Replied by rodami on topic Your choice of tomato
I have just panted some money maker and roma in the new glasshouse that was built a couple of months ago. Dont know if they will handle being sown this early but never had a glasshouse to play with before so experimenting a little. I will put a few more seeds in next month, and I want to try a couple more varieties, so thanks to all for the suggestions here.

Cheers
Rodney

More
14 years 9 months ago #282747 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Your choice of tomato

Seaside;263618 wrote: I think it's one you can easily get at garden centres - at least as seedlings, possibly seeds (including places like the warehouse). It would probably be a bit more interesting for your 4-year-old to start from seed.

Thanks Seaside, I will have to try and make it to a garden centre sometime.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
14 years 9 months ago #282800 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Your choice of tomato
I've grown Subarctic Plenty for a few years but found it was the first one to rot, often before it ripened. Also it wasn't the earliest variety to ripen - that was Kotlas.

More
14 years 9 months ago #282824 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Your choice of tomato
I planted a tigerella (hardly grew, little fruit) and a bananalegs(tasteless) last year and they were big flops, but as the tigerella has got such good reviews here I might give it another go.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #282827 by Simkin

Xartep;264165 wrote: I planted a tigerella (hardly grew, little fruit) and a bananalegs(tasteless) last year and they were big flops, but as the tigerella has got such good reviews here I might give it another go.

I've tried the Tigerella for a couple of seasons because other people praised that variety soooo much - I never had a single fruit but it grew allright.

More
14 years 9 months ago #282846 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Your choice of tomato

goatmama;264084 wrote:
Thanks Seaside, I will have to try and make it to a garden centre sometime.

They won't have seedlings for a while yet in any case. I'll keep an eye out for seed packets though, and if I spot one, I'll get a packet to send to you. Mind you, I am quite tempted by Minibelle in the Kings Seeds catalogue also - a tiny plant in a tiny plant with tonnes of fruit!

Simkin, strange that you didn't get fruit on tigarella. It was slow growing for me, but each plant had quite a few fruit, not large ones, but tasty. You might try boosting the pottasium for them - I put half a handful of wood ash at the bottom of each transplant hole, and I found the tigarella in particular responded well to a dose of seaweed tea.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #282889 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Your choice of tomato

Seaside;264188 wrote: They won't have seedlings for a while yet in any case. I'll keep an eye out for seed packets though, and if I spot one, I'll get a packet to send to you.

Thanks Seaside, I would really appreciate that.

Mind you, I am quite tempted by Minibelle in the Kings Seeds catalogue also - a tiny plant in a tiny plant with tonnes of fruit!

Thats what caught my attention to them too.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
14 years 9 months ago #282963 by Simkin

Seaside;264188 wrote:

Simkin, strange that you didn't get fruit on tigarella. It was slow growing for me, but each plant had quite a few fruit, not large ones, but tasty. You might try boosting the pottasium for them - I put half a handful of wood ash at the bottom of each transplant hole, and I found the tigarella in particular responded well to a dose of seaweed tea.

Mine get chicken poos :D :D and compost sand some varieties respond very well.

More
14 years 9 months ago #282973 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Your choice of tomato
Mushroom compost (mushroom farm close by) and sheep poos (lots of them, from under the sisters shearing shed).
The little cocktail types and the black krim did really well, but the others flopped.
I have also been told that capsicum do really well with sheep poo, but mine are always too late. Will try starting them earlier this year.
Zucchinis aka "the evil trifid plant" always do well here LOL.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 8 months ago #285102 by moonshiner
Replied by moonshiner on topic Your choice of tomato
Every season I say never growing tomatoes again, every season I plant them....

Cherry Tomatoes for Mrs M's salads, always one Beefsteak and usually Moneymaker

This year though I'm gunna try some heritage varieties, have a huge area to be planted :) And some Cherry's in pots on the deck for easy plucking

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
14 years 8 months ago #285105 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic Your choice of tomato

Seaside;264188 wrote:

I put half a handful of wood ash at the bottom of each transplant hole, and I found the tigarella in particular responded well to a dose of seaweed tea.

I presume you mean wood ash from the fire? Does it matter if it's aged a bit? How should I store it for a spring stockpile?

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
14 years 8 months ago #285119 by moonshiner
Replied by moonshiner on topic Your choice of tomato
How about stockpiling in rubbish bags out of the weather? When cool of course, make sure there is no tanalised timber ashes obviously

Sulphate of Potash is a good source of K too :)

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds