Your choice of tomato

• jdnz
14 years 9 months ago #280910 by jdnz
Replied by jdnz on topic Your choice of tomato
Last year I grew Grape Jolly Elf, San Marzano Tall and Heirloom Vintage Wine. I'd definitely try the Vintage Wine again (if I ever get a vege garden) - they have a striped skin and produce very tasty large fruit. The San Marzano Tall were nice but a pear-shaped fruit so not as useful for using on sandwiches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #280970 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Your choice of tomato

daybreak;261988 wrote: Hi Seaside, i am new on here and was looking at Kings catalogue and spotted the tomato sub artic plenty. as we have an unheated greenhouse i was thinking this variety might be good for early tomatoes. i would love to hear your experience of it to help me decide if it might be worth a go.

Hi daybreak and welcome to the lsb family [8D][8D]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #281020 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Your choice of tomato

daybreak;261988 wrote: Hi Seaside, i am new on here and was looking at Kings catalogue and spotted the tomato sub artic plenty. as we have an unheated greenhouse i was thinking this variety might be good for early tomatoes. i would love to hear your experience of it to help me decide if it might be worth a go.

Hello and welcome daybreak :)

That was my idea last year - mine are planted in an unheated tunnel house. They were pretty fast compared to some of the others, however the bloody butcher beat them to it! I sowed my seeds in seed cells in the tunnel house on 7 Sept 2008, transplanted into the soil in the tunnel house on 19 October and I picked my first ripe bloody butcher on 24 December. On 5 January, my first ripe roma was picked, and the sub artic plenty must have been after that because I stopped recording the ripe tomatoes at that point :rolleyes:

actually was just thinking about tomatoes today too, and thinking can't wait for my home grown ones come summer, the bought ones just have NO taste especially at the moment.

That's what I was thinking! After yet another tasteless shop-bought tomato, I yearned for my own....

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #281108 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Your choice of tomato

kaponga;261920 wrote: I'm playing with the idea of using compost to heat my glasshouse. Probably not right though winter, but more extend the season on both ends.

What might also help is a 50 litre black plastic drum filled with water (of if you're like me some water and the sheep bits I don't eat steeping for a "compost tea") and the lid on and placed in a sunny spot in the glasshouse. It warms during the day and slowly releases warmth during the night. Can help to keep a light frost at bay.

Murray - Tuahiwi, Nth Canty
It is better to wear out than rust out - Bishop Richard Cumberland
Wiltshire sheep, hazelnuts, Araucana chooks and Dexter cattle

More
14 years 9 months ago #281424 by Sycamore
Replied by Sycamore on topic Your choice of tomato
I know there is a couple in the Bay of Plenty that sell 80+ varieties of tomato seedling in the spring including many heirloom and some of them are not in any seed catalogue. I can find out more information if anyone is interested. [...email address removed by Kate. To contact sycamore use the 'email user' or 'pm user' options after clicking on the name to the left of this post...]

More
14 years 9 months ago #281529 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Your choice of tomato
My hardcopy of the kings seed catalogue came yesterday, so have spent some time trying to decide what I want/need.
They have an interesting new variety of Tomato called the Purple Calabash 180-200g per tom!
There is too much to choose from - my head hurts!

File Attachment:

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #281572 by EmpTy
Replied by EmpTy on topic Your choice of tomato
I also just received the hard copy of the kingseed in the mail, a nice surprise not having ordered it. But the marketing ploy is working, not that I needed any encouragement.

I was liking the look of Suncherry as a cherry tomato.

M.T.

More
14 years 9 months ago #281581 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Your choice of tomato
The larger yellow tomoatoes are really great, dont know the name of them, but they seem to be really great.

RaeM

More
14 years 9 months ago #281591 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Your choice of tomato

Sycamore;262666 wrote: I know there is a couple in the Bay of Plenty that sell 80+ varieties of tomato seedling in the spring including many heirloom and some of them are not in any seed catalogue. I can find out more information if anyone is interested. [...email address removed by Kate. To contact sycamore use the 'email user' or 'pm user' options after clicking on the name to the left of this post...]

Hi Sycamore and welcome to the lsb family :D :D :D I edited your post as revealing your email address on the forum can mean you end up with lots of spam - sadly spammers have software that trails around the Internet looking for email addresses [B)][B)][B)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #281984 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Your choice of tomato
Does any one have a recomendation(sp?) that would be good for the kids to grow? I am thinking "Minibelle for pots" My 4yr old loves his tomatos and would do well with learning responsibility and care for plants + he gets to eat the rewards.
Your thoughts?

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
14 years 9 months ago #282096 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Your choice of tomato
Kotlas is the earliest to fruit at our place, San Marzano for an abundance of pear shaped sauce tomatoes and Dr Walters Special for eating raw. Yum.

I, too, got lots of leaves and not so much fruit this past season and I didn't do anything different. It must have been the season.

More
14 years 9 months ago #282101 by jammymum
Replied by jammymum on topic Your choice of tomato
I too am a bit bamboozled by the Kings catalogue, sooo much to choose from! Last year was a disaster for me, I got blight quite early on and lost 2/3rds of my crop, very disappointing. This year I'm comandeering the old pig pen and will start digging beds in there as soon as it dries out a bit, fingers crossed I'll have better luck this year!

More
14 years 9 months ago #282152 by Seaside
Goatmama, I've never grown minibelle, but I agree something cherry and relatively easy to grow in a pot would be good. I have grown a cherry tomato called Baxters Early Bush and that was quite successful. Or everyone's fave, Sweet 100.

www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #282237 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Your choice of tomato
I would like to try sweet 100 but I have not as yet seen it in the catalogue.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
14 years 9 months ago #282316 by Seaside
I think it's one you can easily get at garden centres - at least as seedlings, possibly seeds (including places like the warehouse). It would probably be a bit more interesting for your 4-year-old to start from seed. My boys all love planting seeds, then they lose interest until it comes to eating 'their' harvest, but that's my fault for not insisting. You'll be surprised what a child will eat if they grew the plant themselves (last year we had the kids grow and eat choho chinese cabbage leaf, globe artichoke, and pumpkin).

www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds