Storing potatoes

More
15 years 1 month ago #17311 by kiwi chook
Storing potatoes was created by kiwi chook
I know it has been covered before, but I cannot find the thread. What is the best way to store my potatoes? I have a couple of black rubbish bins with lids to keep them in the dark, but would it be better to have a bit of air getting in? Also, is it better to brush the dirt off, or better to wash the spuds?
Thanks for your help
Maddy :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #257736 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Storing potatoes
A dry, cool dark place with air circulation. I stand corrected but I don't think plastic bins would be a good place as they might sweat then rot. I use old paper bags that used to have spuds or flour in, but even better old hessian sacks like they always used to be.

I wash them first but I think the correct thing to do is brush them and not wash them until you want to use them, as long as they are dry when you store them.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
15 years 1 month ago #257759 by kiwi chook
Replied by kiwi chook on topic Storing potatoes
Thanks for that. I'll go and hunt out some old chook food bags for them then. Only have half a row of Maori spuds to go and then I'll be all done !

More
15 years 1 month ago #257792 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic Storing potatoes
dont wash them if you are storing them for long

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
15 years 1 month ago #257797 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Storing potatoes
I've used one of those $1 recyclable supermarket bags. They're not cloth as such, but seem to be breathable. In the bottom of a cupboard in that bag, my urenika spuds have lasted a couple of months already.

But I wouldn't wash them, as others have said. Any moisture is asking for biodegradation.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
15 years 1 month ago #257822 by kiwi chook
Replied by kiwi chook on topic Storing potatoes
Thanks guys. They are now safely stored in the garage in bags under an old sheet (to keep them in the dark). I rubbed off as much dirt as I could, and any with holes in, or that looked a bit dubious are in the bucket to be used first. Will they last most of the winter?

More
15 years 1 month ago #257826 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Storing potatoes
Whether they last will depend on lots of things, like how damp your shed is, how warm your shed gets, the cultivar of the potatoes. I sort ours every month or so, and more often after July, to remove the sprouting ones and rotting ones.

• Jack
15 years 1 month ago #257852 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Storing potatoes
Gidday

I just leave them in the ground but mound the soil up over them.., That's the natural way as far as I can see and I have normally found them O.K. till the soil starts to warm up in spring when they start to shoot. But I have lost some that the frost got to, 3 inches down but it was a bloody hard frost though.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds