CD's as bird scarers

More
15 years 5 months ago #15607 by Louimay
CD's as bird scarers was created by Louimay
Hi I was just reading on the Vege Garden Photos thread about some of you using CD's as a means of keeping birds off your garden.

I am having the worst time ever with my vege garden this year as the birds are just shredding everything and also digging out all my baby plants. I have bird netting all over the place but they are still managing to do some serious damage.[:(!][:(!]

So how do you set up the CD's? I have a whole heap of netguide ones I just ripped out of the magazines. Do I just string them up over the garden? How high and how?

Any help will be hugely appreciated by me and by my silverbeet, spinach, brocolli, lettuce, corn, etc etc... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
15 years 5 months ago #236653 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic CD's as bird scarers
Just tie some light weight string through the hole and around the edge of the disc, (fishing line might be better) this allows the disc to spin around in the breeze, reflecting the light and deterring the birds. Suspend them at varying lengths from whatever you choose to hang them from. A piece of wood across a bed, or from a few spare standards etc
Of course you also run the risk of said discs in a 5 pegger whizzing round and beheading the birds!! Orf with their heads! ;)

More
15 years 5 months ago #236657 by Louimay
Replied by Louimay on topic CD's as bird scarers

maggies mum;213381 wrote:
Of course you also run the risk of said discs in a 5 pegger whizzing round and beheading the birds!! Orf with their heads! ;)

LOL MM, the thought of that happening REALLY appeals to me right at the moment..LOL. It would be most satisfying

Thanks heaps for the help[8D] Off to set them up :)

More
15 years 5 months ago #236678 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic CD's as bird scarers
[:I][:I][:I]I had this image of putting the worst CDs you can find in to the CD player cranking up the volume full tilt and scaring the birds off[:0]:rolleyes::rolleyes:[;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

• maggies mum
15 years 5 months ago #236703 by maggies mum
Thats plan B terralee! ;)

More
15 years 5 months ago #236723 by Louimay
Replied by Louimay on topic CD's as bird scarers
:D Well, my garden looks like a Xmas tree now. Just need the sun to come out so we get some reflections happening :)

Hopefully it works.

• maggies mum
15 years 5 months ago #236753 by maggies mum
Pictures please! ;)

More
15 years 5 months ago #236795 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic CD's as bird scarers
The starlings always find places in our guttering to nest. They just whip the gutter guard off. So I've been wondering how to suspend some CDs there next year. Any ideas?

More
15 years 5 months ago #236851 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic CD's as bird scarers
My bamboo died a few years back but as it was in an unseen corner I left it.
Now i have these skinny 16 ft lengths, not much use for anything but you can poke it in all sorts of places & fly CD's.
Under the roof of a porch or car port over the guttering & under the iron on a roof.
Works a treat.
I tried to take a pic but the light is almost gone-- you may be able to see them:(

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/213591=1578-disc 002.jpg[/img]

Recovering Lifestyler

More
15 years 4 months ago #237089 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic CD's as bird scarers
That looks fantastic but I need them over the back door and bedroom french doors so I wouldn't want them that long or it'll be more than starlings that get annoyed!!!!

More
15 years 4 months ago #237188 by Ferngreen
Replied by Ferngreen on topic CD's as bird scarers
We have had that problem this year aswell. Pesky things ate my cabbages and homed in on my parsley. Will sort out some old disks....worth a try.

Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain. author unknown.

More
15 years 4 months ago #237495 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic CD's as bird scarers
For what it is worth, about a year ago I bought 2 rolls of reflective bird tape and strung them across the front and criss crossed it inside my tractor shed to keep the starlings out from nesting. It looked real pretty and like Christmas decorations, well it worked brilliantly for about 4 hours then it was absolutely useless and the starlings were whipping in and out as usual. Although they still poop on my tractor, truck and tools I have really limited their nesting spots and things are a lot better.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
15 years 4 months ago #238061 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic CD's as bird scarers
Starlings are not the problem thank goodness--those darn birds are as bloody minded as they come.

The CD's do a great job with the Black birds that rake off the mulch & with the Thrush that steals my pond snails.

Recovering Lifestyler

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds