Muslin

More
15 years 6 months ago #229491 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Muslin
Paneer is an Indian word for cheese. It is used exentsively in Indian cooking. It can be made either sweet or savoury or unflavoured.
Bring you milk to the boil, add a little vinegar, then strain through muslin. Muslin comes in different thicknesses, the very fine stuff probbaly will not be strong enough, but the mid weight stuff will. Because it is not stretchy it is easier to squeeze more liquid out. It can also be washed and is easily sterlilised.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #229494 by moggy

More
15 years 6 months ago #229743 by dinnaefash
Replied by dinnaefash on topic Muslin
Thanks, Moggy. That was my understanding of what muslin was, too - that's why this whole stockinette business has me confused! [:I][:(!] I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and make a trip to Hamilton and see if I have more success there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
15 years 6 months ago #229774 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Muslin
Mutton cloth is ok for straining jelly, but it fluffs, unlike muslin that can be left on a hard cheese then pealed off the hard rind without leaving fluff behind.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
15 years 6 months ago #229933 by dinnaefash
Replied by dinnaefash on topic Muslin
I got some!! YAY! [^] :D I went down to Taupo yesterday to the Eco Show, and found a fabric shop while I was there.

Soooo... made Paneer last night! :p Very easy (apart from having to leave hubbie stirring the milk while I dashed out to the orchard in the dark because I needed more lemon juice...), but it remains to be seen what it tastes like [:I]. So, Indian tonight, yum :) (Also realised once I was actually making the paneer that the curds are so firm I could probably have managed just using a strainer... [:I][:I][:I] But at least I have muslin now for future cheesemaking experiments!)

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds