Muslin

More
15 years 6 months ago #14983 by dinnaefash
Muslin was created by dinnaefash
Any idea where I can get muslin / cheesecloth in the Cambridge / Hamilton area, so I can have a go at making paneer etc??? :confused:

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #228630 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Muslin
Most fabric shops have it, as it is still used for baby cloths & drapes for bassinets.
I bought 2 mtrs last week at our local bargain fabrics place.
He smiled when I asked for old fashioned butter muslin----but what the heck; that is what it is to me.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
15 years 6 months ago #228632 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Muslin
I'd be trying David's Emporium on Hood St - they have everything!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 6 months ago #228678 by Angie
Replied by Angie on topic Muslin
Try Bin Inn

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

• chooky
15 years 6 months ago #228686 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Muslin
Gosh Tigger is that Davids Emporium still there ? I used to love that shop . When we lived in the Naki and hubby used to go to Hamilton for work trips I would go with him and spend ages in that shop while waiting for him at the nearby court house . Something for everyone in their . Do they still have those sweets from unheard of countries ? And as you say the fabric section is a starter for any one looking for unusual items.

More
15 years 6 months ago #228696 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Muslin
Do you have a PGG Wrighton, CRT or other farm shop? I've bought mutton cloth from PGG before, I think it's the same sort of thing (I hung a prosciuto (sp?)) in it. And only a few bucks for quite a big bit.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
15 years 6 months ago #228742 by Ferngreen
Replied by Ferngreen on topic Muslin
You could also try Mitre 10 and Bunnings, they carry it.

Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain. author unknown.

More
15 years 6 months ago #229104 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Muslin
Spotlight has it

More
15 years 6 months ago #229154 by dinnaefash
Replied by dinnaefash on topic Muslin
Just phoned Cambridge Mitre 10, and they have it - yay!!! Thanks guys!
:D :D :D

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
15 years 6 months ago #229224 by fleetwoodmac
Replied by fleetwoodmac on topic Muslin
We can supply you with Cheesecloth (Muslin Cloth, or whatever you want to call it). Ours is 100% cotton, prewashed, wrapped, 2.5kg roll, $30 plus freight (or you can p-up from Frankton). :)

More
15 years 6 months ago #229257 by dinnaefash
Just back from town... Mitre 10, Wrightsons and Bin Inn all offered me the same thing. It actually says 'Stockinette Roll' on it...?? (The Wrightsons one also said Mutton Cloth) Is that the right stuff??? :confused: I thought it would be more fabric-like, but this is quite stretchy... :confused:

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
15 years 6 months ago #229325 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Muslin
no, that is definitely not the same thing, stockinette is used as polishing cloths and rags, muslin is quite different, it is woven, not knitted. I would doubt that mitre 10 would stock muslin.

More
15 years 6 months ago #229414 by dinnaefash
I'm totally baffled :(

Have just done a search on cheese making, and checked what products these people sell. Found this www.cheesemaker.co.nz/other-supplies-xidg15049.html - but their description says Cheese cloth/Stockinette, so I'm none the wiser!! [:0]:(:(

Anyone else know?? :confused:[:I]

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
15 years 6 months ago #229475 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Muslin
Muslin is a loosely woven cotton cloth with quite fine threads - its often used for baby face cloths etc. Stockinette as at Mitre 10 is quite thick and stretchy as you say but would still strain things. Maybe you need to e-mail the cheesemaker website and ask. After all if they mean the same stuff, it must be okay for cheese.

More
15 years 6 months ago #229488 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Muslin
I've never made paneer, so don't know what it is.

Are you straining curds and whey for a type of cheese? I would imagine then that cheese cloth / stockinette / mutton cloth (what I call the same thing) will be just fine. It is, I imagine, cheaper than muslin and can be reused.

Dave (Artisan Cheese) - the website you've given above - uses cheese cloth for the mascapone type cheese he makes in class. It is more than adequate for hanging the curds and whey overnight from a broomstick over a basin.

I HTH.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds