What's for dinner in your house ??

More
16 years 5 days ago #188541 by LongRidge
Oxtail stew from LongRidge Mini tonight. Oxtail makes the bestest stew ever .... yum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 days ago #188547 by Kiwismum
Never made oxtail stew, but my mum use to give us oxtail soup as kids. I guess it is the same thing just runnier.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
16 years 5 days ago #188598 by Seaside
I can't decide. Had lasagne the last two nights. I'm probably going to do roast beef with roast potatoes because I have some green beans that need eating up. Then we'll have lots of left-over meat for sandwiches and a noodle stir-fry on Friday.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
16 years 5 days ago #188615 by jeannielea
Kaumea there is a stall that sells Rosti at the Martinborough fair. Thousand of people go to the fair and I reckon most buy rosti!! To make the rosti hey have about 10 people in a line, each with their own gas burner. When a rosti is sold, the pan is taken to the other end of the line where it is filled with the mix, then gradually passed up the line, cooking as it goes! Result, a continuous supply. Its brilliant to see them and the queue is long for the whole day. They must make heaps of money.

More
16 years 5 days ago #188626 by kaumea
maybe we should try it here on the Farmers Market??
It is delicious...

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
16 years 5 days ago #188651 by ronnie
With OH working night shift, we tend to have a more substantial meal in the middle of the day (when I can be bothered).

So, today was mince on toast. Very nice it was too. Made enough to have again tomorrow for lunch.

So will be "whatever" for tea :D

• chooky
16 years 5 days ago #188676 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic What's for dinner in your house ??
Well I am going with the fritatta /egg bake thingy - just chopped up a bit of everything in the way of veges and added some ham / bacon and cheese . Just have to do the egg mix and we are up and running .

MM are you having the Toad in the Hole dish - my hubby is English and I tried making it ONCE - it was heavy to say the least . How do you make yours ??
Do you eat Spotted Dick ? Sounds to me like an horrific disease !![}:)] :D

• maggies mum
16 years 5 days ago #188684 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic What's for dinner in your house ??
Yeah I think I might do the toad in the hole, but it might end up being bangers and mash!

Ok Toad in the Hole

Yorkshire pudding mix (always make earlier in the day and let it sit around for a while, it settles the mix and works better)

285ml/1/2 milk

115g/4oz plain flour

pinch salt

3 eggs (most recipes say 2, 3 is so much better)

Mix the ingredients and leave.

I like to brown my sausages before I put them in the pan

Use a good sized non stick pan, put a good 1/2 inch oil in the bottom of the pan, place on the middle shelf of a hot oven, 240-250C/475F/gas 9, heat the oil til it's smoking!
You could have your browned sausages in the pan already as this will save the oil cooling as you poor in your batter mix. Ideally the oil should be hot enough so that when the batter mix goes in it bubbles.
Place in your oven for at least 20 mins! And dont be tempted to open during that time, or they will go flat.
I made one once that I placed too high in the oven and it rose so much that it stuck to the roof of the oven!

The cooked meal should be crispy on top, try not to burn it lol

Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies of your choice and covered in onion gravy!

Lovely.

Havent had spotted dick for ages although I do know its treatable these days! lol

More
16 years 5 days ago #188693 by Birman Babe
Roast Lamb (homegrown), Spuds, Kumera, Brocolli with cheese sauce and minted peas for us tonight..yummy, cant wait!

More
16 years 5 days ago #188695 by ardnas
Grilled steak, potatoes in their jackets, cauliflower, broccoli (with cheese sauce) and curried carrots (carrots rings lightly boiled, drained then back in the pot with a dessertspoon of butter, mild curry powder and brown suger, yum yum to die for :p ).

Then as a treat feijoa crumble :D

More
16 years 5 days ago #188696 by Gracelands
Sigh. I don't know yet. The first thing I find when I open the freezer when I get home from work tonight, I guess.

Those other things all sound yummy....

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

• chooky
16 years 5 days ago #188697 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic What's for dinner in your house ??
Thanks for the recipe MM . I will give it a try .
Gosh some of you have some yummy dinners .[^] :)

• maggies mum
16 years 5 days ago #188722 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic What's for dinner in your house ??
It occured to me after typing it that you could cook your sausages in the pan then pour the batter mix over the top.
When mixing batter, make a well in the flour, add one egg at a time with some milk, stir with hand whisk slowly pulling in the flour, give it a good old whisk and try and add as many air bubbles as you can, this makes it quite light.
We are having Toad in the 'ole tonight so shall post a photo later for yer!
Time for a wine now though methinks

More
16 years 4 days ago #188808 by betenoir
Toad in the hole got renamed here after an 'oven failure' and is now 'Frog in the bog'. [:I]
Tonight I got home early so it was sticky spare ribs (sauce made from nectarine chutney, mustard, lemon marmalade, tomato ketchup, lea & Perrins, and olive oil), accompanied by cajun spiced jacket potato wedges (home cooked not frozen!) covered in a layer of melted cheese and bacon bits and served with homemade tomato and red onion salsa and sour cream.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
16 years 4 days ago #188831 by max2
The SOH was rained off a job today, so came home and tinkered in the workshop, and as E was playing at a schoolfriend's house, I was taken out for lunch up the road.

I had a seafood crepe with skinny chips and salad, ice chocolate, he had fettachini (sp?) with creamy sauce, sun dried tomatoes, bacon, and hot chocolate.

We are still full from lunch, so just tucked into some coconut ice in the fridge, and E had leftovers from last night plus salad, and an ice cream cone for dessert.

Yummo.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds