Help - Dealing with bearing in pregenant ewe

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #555853 by Hexane
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this posted correctly the first time.

I am in need of some advice. We currently have an older ewe who is heavily pregnant. She has started prolapsing a few days ago - it's been small and I've able to gently push it back in with no issues. She is living in the back section so we can keep a close eye on her but I'm concerned how she will lamb. Does anyone have any experience with harnesses or spoons - can any of these devices allow her to lamb naturally? What happens if she prolapses when she goes into labor - can I push it back in and reach in to pull out the lambs?

Thanks for your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #555854 by kate
Hi and welcome

I don't have any experience with sheep but had a goat with a prolapse. She had a bearing retainer fitted and she kidded with no problem.

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47, Hexane

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #555855 by LongRidge
Hi Hexane. Most of us go to "Our Place" for day-to-day routine farming. "Rural Voice" is used by many of us for longer-term political issues :-).
We have found that bearing retainers need to be kept in with a string around the waist to tie tightly the three strings from the retainer. Then another string along her back to a neck tie, the back string loose enough for her to eat and drink.
Check that the retainer is still in as often as you can.
Usually they can lamb past a retainer but sometimes the retainer gets caught in the lambs mouth, so must be got off very quickly once lambing has started. With sheep, they usually give birth within 20 minutes of starting, so when you see a ewe trying, time 20 minutes while you get the lambing gear ready then go and help :-).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47, Hexane

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds