Are you experiencing problems with Rural Theft?

More
1 year 7 months ago #553640 by AnnaBoothVA
Couple days ago FMG released a report that rural thefts in January are usually 23% higher than the rest of the year.

Equine kit, saddles and floats are the most commonly stolen items.

Is there a concern with theft in your area? Let us know. As a community, we can watch out for and support each other!

www.insurancebusinessmag.com/nz/news/bre...-insurer-242637.aspx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #553642 by Stikkibeek
Wise words, but not enough to stop the theft of what we lost last February. Because of what else they stole, it was likely gang related and the Police were as useless as.....failing to follow up on a good lead; quoting "Privacy concerns". WTF! Since when were thieves granted "privacy" The sure as hell didn't respect ours!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: AnnaBoothVA

More
1 year 7 months ago #553652 by Hertz Donut
The only thing we've had waylaid so far (touch wood) is a hose that was just inside the fence along the road boundary, we didn't even think about it. We got a small section back as part of a makeshift bong that was thrown into our drain a couple of weeks ago. Sigh.

As I type a security firm is automating our main gates and getting started on installing cameras and alarms. We're close to town so a likely prime target for theft. We have at least two locks on every door, plus patio bolts etc. Our key rings look like hedgehogs and are just as painful to accidentally sit on.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 year 7 months ago #553654 by max2
We have been robbed twice and both times it was by local people/or their ''guests''. The first time the community grapevine told me who it was, and I made a point of going in to see the Det. in charge of the case (as well as others in our area) who confirmed I had the right names. One of the Mother's took it upon herself, later on, to pay a visit and abuse me saying it was our fault the way her son was. She didn't leave with a smile and has since moved to the king country...

Frustratingly the police would not attend to attempt fingerprinting or interview the other neighbour who saw the young men driving up and around (dead-end road) in daylight. They were charged with receiving stolen goods though from another robbery same night. Big business and the police were told what to expect by an informant.

Second time and more recently, it was by ''guests'' of a 3rd neighbour all of who have a meth addiction. That took us 3 days to work out when and where it happened.

We have installed a number of cameras which report back to my mobile, which I now take to the bedroom. We cannot get the police here promptly and they are struggling with boy racers who regularly appear in our growing area.

something has to change.

More
1 year 7 months ago #553656 by Hertz Donut

max2 wrote: We have installed a number of cameras which report back to my mobile, which I now take to the bedroom. We cannot get the police here promptly and they are struggling with boy racers who regularly appear in our growing area.

Many's the night I've laid in bed listening to burnouts at the intersection about 200m away. I wonder what the gate camera will pick up...

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Hawkspur, AnnaBoothVA

More
1 year 6 months ago #553665 by AnnaBoothVA
Sounds like some people are definitely having some problems with theft and unwanted actively in and around the properties.

Where I am based, we thankfully, don’t have many problems this time of year as we are right in the middle of berry and then hop harvest so there are huge amounts of people around watching out for each other’s places. So far this year we haven’t had any major issues with the pickers/seasonal workers and theft or destruction of property. Fingers crossed that continues.

But after reading your lovely comments it does seem that installing cameras in the way to go. Thank you

More
1 year 6 months ago #553667 by Hawkspur
For cameras to be useful in identification, you need them fairly close and low enough to capture numberplates and faces under hat brims. Walk around with your hat on and note what you can see to find spots suitable for a camera. Lighting that doesn't cause glare for the camera (headlights at night can mean tailplates are often easier to read than front numberplates) is also important, as are good high definition image capable cameras.

More
1 year 6 months ago #553688 by AnnaBoothVA
Wow thank you for the great advice. Some aspects of camera placement there that I'm sure not everyone will have thought of

More
1 year 6 months ago #553690 by Stikkibeek
You also need them where they can't be vandalized, and therein lies the problem. Low enough to get people's faces and they can be damaged or stolen by those very people, so they need to be the sort that will send pictures captured to your cell or PC

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
1 year 6 months ago #553694 by max2
People.! That is why you buy cameras that record back elsewhere and send alerts....

More
1 year 6 months ago #553845 by AnnaBoothVA
Looks like some areas are definitely seeing a spike this summer, unfortunately.

www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/12399...h-rural-summer-theft

More
1 year 5 months ago #554085 by AnnaBoothVA

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds