Far North Internet/Satellite Options

More
6 years 2 months ago #537832 by Runamuck
Some years ago we looked into our options for internet access (which were extremely limited) and it just got into the "too hard" basket so we left it. However, the time has come where we really do need to do something about it.

Does anyone have provider recommendations/know who has coverage in the Far North? We don't, and never will have, the option of a landline, so it needs to be wireless/satellite based.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #537833 by Ruth
I'm still stuck, unhappily, on satellite. Expensive, low data allowance, slow, frustrating "service" from the provider. Can you get wireless where you are, or too many trees/hills. Can't remember where you are.

More
6 years 2 months ago #537834 by Runamuck
We're inland from Mangonui, and in a valley. We do get the odd txt message in and out, but not always, and to make phone calls we have to jump in the car and drive to the top of the hill, and at the top of the hill are more hills, and a forestry block. When we looked into it before someone did come out and check, and said that they were pretty sure we could, but then they decided they couldn't, and then they weren't sure if it was line of sight problem or their machine.... and we gave up. Of course now I can't remember who the company was!

More
6 years 2 months ago #537837 by Ruth
I was told Uber were really good but when I talked to them they were extremely slack and even though I was trying to suggest options for possible solutions, the person I spoke to couldn't be bothered pursuing any of them. I gave up on them, stayed with the satelite on another two-year contract. One day I may have a choice and you can be sure I'll jump at it!

More
6 years 2 months ago #537849 by viki
We have uber at home for phone and internet I think it cost around $75 a month. Havent had any real problems

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #537851 by Hawkspur
It might be worth checking whether the RBI2 rollout includes anywhere near your area.
We weren't, but happened across a guy looking in this area for a repeater site to to a neighbouring valley. He was from one of the many companies which have designated areas in their contract from the government for this.
So I let all our neighbours know, and they contacted the company directly, who were very pleased to find there were a lot more potential customers. They are now looking at covering a slightly wider area and we may now get government funded RBI2.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Hawkspur.

More
6 years 2 months ago #537908 by 70m45
Hi Runamuck, whereabouts at Mangonui? We are at the top of little hill at Backriver Road, with very poor GSM connection on the phone but I was able to run 3G rural internet with little YAGI external antenna pointing to cell tower at Whangaroa harbour - it was pretty reliable 20Mbits down, 5Mbits up - 60GB of data for $80...

If you want, send me a private message with your exact position and I can have a look for options (I work in IT and was doing the research for myself last year :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #537909 by Ruth
While you're at it ... would you mind solving my problem too? :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #537910 by 70m45
Hi Ruth, sorry I had a look now (I actually checked this a year ago as I thought I would be able to find something better for you) - but unfortunately you are in bad spot. The only option (pretty bad anyway) would be to put a bi-directional antenna on the little hill you have in the middle of paddocks (I guess there is no power so you would need to setup a solar + battery in there at least for $1500 for budget solution) and then point it to the west to Takahue road hoping someone would share his ADSL with you) - I wouldn't do that...

You have hills all around you so there is no line of sight to any of cell towers - so the only hope would be probably if they build a new cell tower somewhere closer to you... Sorry I know you didn't want to hear this :(

If anyone else wants to play here are resource I'm using:

gis.geek.nz/celltowers/
www.netspeed.net.nz/rbi-coverage
broadbandmap.nz/
www.chorus.co.nz/tools-support/broadband-tools/broadband-map
www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-elevationtool.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: sempercapsicum

More
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #537947 by Runamuck
Thanks for the replies guys.

70m45 - Done, thank you :)

Hawkspur : thanks for those links too. :)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Runamuck.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538856 by sempercapsicum
Hey 70m45,

I live in Kaeo and had a look at the GIS celltowers map, our property is LITERALLY directly below the towers SW of Kaeo, but we get poor reception due to the rock being in the way. We're being told rural internet would be too slow, and that ADSL also likely would be slow. We're so close to the towers, it's maddening! Is there anything we can do to figure that all out so we can have decent 3G/4G internet?

More
4 years 10 months ago #546809 by 70m45
Hi sorry it's a long time you were asking for the internet connection - could you give me your address and I'll have a look on maps... Who told you your connection would be slow?

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds