DIY Rural Fibre Internet

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #483878 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet
I think perhaps you might be misjudging poster's thoughts abogado, I think we would all be happy with faster, better options on most things we use, but folk have to weigh up whether its worthwhile or important enough to cough up the extra $$'s compared to other perhaps more pressing matters.

(I personally would put that money into solar panels for my roof and dual heat water cylinder before improving my internet speed/quality. :) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #483960 by ahdeek
Replied by ahdeek on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet
We one of the new generation that requires boardband, it was one of the requirement for a LSB, my wife work from home in IT and I also work in IT and need it for after hour support.

The real estate agent said that more and more people are wanting / requiring boardband and places with out it is getting harder to sell when we was going what we was looking for in a place. We was not to picky, but needed to be at least 2- 5mbs down min, WISP not a problem and there is good isp in the area doing WISP so lots place was not ruled out but was a term in the sales agreement of proof of good boardband.

Turn out the place we like was only 400m form a good cabinet that has something called VDSL2 - which is very fast internet but needs to be 900m max from cabinet, so we ended up with better internet then all my work mate with 45mbs down and 10 up and love the look on there faces when they said - LSB - your internet must be bad and i go "yeah, it only 45 down and 10 up" ;)

Good luck on getting the fibre in, and think you are right in that it is becoming an important sale item for a place, even for LSB / farms now days.

More
9 years 11 months ago #485773 by The4horsemen11
I personally would totally support this sort of initiative, my broadband internet is very similar to yours (Abogado) in terms of speed, I am probably fortunate to be in a position where the money wouldn't be the determining factor for me.

I am also probably just on the edge of the age group that uses the internet heavily, but also I believe the future is headed more and more to the internet such things as TV will become less and less powerful in terms of revenue flow and their capacity to hold peoples attention as the internet takes over and provides better more customisable and flexible services.

I suspect the affluence of your neighbourhood is going to dictate the likeliness of this venture getting off the ground so to speak.

More
9 years 11 months ago #486766 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet
Nope, wouldn't be interested.

We have fibre cable at the school about 10 km away. We cant have it out here. Nor can we (telecom say might but possibly not) get even fixed line broadband as we are to far away from the cabinet, or if it worked it would be equal or less speed than dial up. Wireless & satellite options are to expensive. We use a plug in 3G stick, vodafone, on the lap top, pay $19/month for 500mb, plus free calls and txtxs (we can txt from computer and pull sim into a spare phone if we want). That plus the data available on my cell phone is enough to browse a bit of internet and do the banking when we need to.

As a hard up small block owner in the middle of large dairy farms I couldn't afford the $3000. My neighbours all have expensive satellite connections so wouldn't help with costs for me although they would provide labour and machines if I asked.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
9 years 10 months ago #488079 by Nishka
Replied by Nishka on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet
To the original thread poster ...

If you are anywhere on the Coromandel, example anywhere from Kopu and heading past Thames township and hence anywhere further up either coast (or even south of there) then it matters then you will be sorely disappointed as there is NO retail fibre delivery to "anywhere" on the coromadel whatsoever. Your local school will have at best VDSL delivered to it. The nearest Fibre available as a "RETAIL" or "Home User" or "School" or "Business" is either Tauranga or Drury by a car drive away .... sad but true.

I myself live in a scarcely populated area on the Hauraki Plains and live not more than 900 metres from a rural school. A mere few metres away from my lifestyle block is an rural telephone exchange building which has a fibre feed into it. In fact the main Fibre trunk runs past it from auckland through to tauranga.

But the absolute bare fact with that exchange and every other exchange that might serve you and your neighbors in your area and myself and my neighbors is that those exchanges are NOT capable of delivering a retail fibre service to anyone (yet). Not even to your or my local schools and will not be in a position to do so for some years .... So the first thing you and your neighbors need to do is get over the fibre thing and concentrate on getting the next best thing if available at the nearest exchange or cabinet which is VDSL.

I offered to pay $100,000 of my own money to get fibre out of that exchange to my place a mere 378 metres from the front door of that exchange. But after much negotiation and talking it finally dawned on me that even if I had everything laid right to my doorstep and int my office there remained one inescapable fact. That NO ISP retailer in NZ no matter who they were period was able to supply me with a "retail" (get that word retail, as in you and me would be customers) service.

Period, Nada, Zippo end of .... I was gutted and completely pissed about it for sure but eventually I got over it and moved on.

I myself am so close to the actual exchange by pure luck as I did not realise the white shed was an exchange when I bought my block ...

This means I am in the delightful position of having a full 70-megabit download and 10-megabit upload vdsl service in my home which I might add is bloody marvelous :)

However to get to the point of my post I have had several new telephone cables laid into my residence, enough for around 12 phone lines. I have 1 full vdsl + voip phone service for myself and several broadband only vdsl connections live into my place which I beam wirelesly to several neighbors ranging from 5-kilometers away to 11-kilometers for most of them and a few as far away as 25-kilometers.

I bought the microwave wireless transmitter / receiver setups myself and set them up myself to get the broadband to those who wanted it. I pay the bill to my isp for the services I get into my residence and feed it on to the neighbors who compensate me for the cost of supplying and running the equipment. It cost me between around $700 to $1250 odd for each transmitter combo to each neighbor and they are pretty much as happy as a satified pussy and zero niggles or issues ... so you see there are many ways to skin a cat to get what you seek ...

Best of all at some stage off into the future when I "am" able to get fibre to my place, I will simply upgrade the hardware and beam the neighbours in better service.

Was it hard to do, well not really apart from going metal a few times getting the technicalities all sorted but once up and go its a piece of cake.

I am even going to spend a grand or two setting the entire lot to run of solar so it will be independent of power company lines which will be good too :)

Why did I do the above to begin with, well I got sick of listening to the whining of those poor bastards who did not have broadband and one day got off my butt and researched it all and went for it ... it was bloody hard work to get all the facts sorted from the bullshit people (and the equipment sellers) were telling me but I got there in the end ...

What is my back ground ? I was a highly paid auto/diesel mechanic / engineer / electrician years ago ...

Nishka

More
9 years 9 months ago #488898 by ahdeek
Replied by ahdeek on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet
Nishka - just remember you most likely do not meet the requirements to be a IPAP and so you will be the account holder for the Copyright Infringing act and all penalty will be yours to pay - not the neighbour that did the downloading. Think you almost there with your setup, just need to be a business that provide the services, not joe public, but then you will need to pay tax etc.

More
9 years 9 months ago #488914 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet
A lot of what you are all talking about is beyond me. I don't understand it.

So, having said that, I'm going to assume you have looked into the google study of balloons currently being trialed in remote locations worldwide.

Is that of any interest or help?

www.google.com/loon/

More
9 years 9 months ago #488928 by spark
Replied by spark on topic DIY Rural Fibre Internet

ahdeek;493443 wrote: Nishka - just remember you most likely do not meet the requirements to be a IPAP and so you will be the account holder for the Copyright Infringing act and all penalty will be yours to pay

One way around this "problem" is to establish a VPN to a server in a country with strong internet privacy laws and route all your customer's traffic via the VPN. Switzerland comes to mind as their courts have ruled that an IP address is not sufficient evidence to prosecute for copyright infringement.

Of course, if you use decent encryption on your VPN (pretty common these days), you'll make life harder for the spooks between your customers and that foreign VPN server (ie ASIO, GCHQ, GCSB, NSA, FIVE EYES, X-KEYSCORE, etc).

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds