Update on neighbours from hell

More
10 years 3 months ago #481333 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Update on neighbours from hell
Absolutely fair enough, Kate. A timely reminder to us all. :-)
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481627 by bevhawkins
In the UK you have to let buyers know of any problems with neighbours. Not sure if thats the law here.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481634 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Update on neighbours from hell

bevhawkins;485399 wrote: In the UK you have to let buyers know of any problems with neighbours. Not sure if thats the law here.

Never seen it here and I don't know how something so broad could be upheld if indeed it was law in some form.

My very limited understanding with UK stuff is only if you had outstanding issues with neighbours over boundary fencing, walkways etc. Not personality type things...

Geese everyone would be at war and not buying properties if that were the case. [}:)]

More
10 years 3 months ago #481645 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Update on neighbours from hell

bevhawkins;485399 wrote: In the UK you have to let buyers know of any problems with neighbours. Not sure if thats the law here.

If you are using a real estate agent and they know that the property next door is for example a gang house they are required to disclose that. If you are selling privately it is buyer beware.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481647 by Woolpatch
Igor while I agree name calling is out of order your comments were unsympathetic and entirely unhelpful.

It's sad that so many think screwing the buyer by hiding problem neighbours in order to sell at a higher price is ok. Decent folk would mention it and if need be lower the price slightly to get the sale done. When the neighbours are that bad the argument that the buyer might get on with them is a poor argument designed to justify poor behaviour.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481650 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Update on neighbours from hell

Woolpatch;485419 wrote: Igor while I agree name calling is out of order your comments were unsympathetic and entirely unhelpful.

It's sad that so many think screwing the buyer by hiding problem neighbours in order to sell at a higher price is ok. Decent folk would mention it and if need be lower the price slightly to get the sale done. When the neighbours are that bad the argument that the buyer might get on with them is a poor argument designed to justify poor behaviour.

I don't agree and I site my experience again with my neighbours. Others get on with them fine, the ones that had earlier issues with the son aren't being affected this time and its probably due to the Mum being super friendly with them, she avoids us except to abuse me last year. The son was arrested recently in our road for stealing, and is the main and only suspect for our robbery.

Now if we were to consider selling our place because of the lad and the potential for our situation to get a lot worse, how could we say there are problems with the neighbours when currently its only us and a few others in the village he is targeting, when they get on fine with the other immediate folk.?

Its just not possible and I would think legally dangerous to say the neighbours are a problem. Its also not for the seller to take a drop in price because of someone else's poor behaviour and thus why in previous posts I have encouraged these people to get others on board with them and to get the community talking.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481655 by Woolpatch
There is a big difference between not getting on with someone (which I agree does not need to be disclosed) vs a neighbour who has a history of animal abuse and a history of breaching noise control rules. A conviction for running a P lab on the property or a convicted paedophile are other possible examples. All those I would expect to be disclosed, they are not in any way subjective and they can’t be brushed under the carpet by suggesting the buyer might like them.

The only difference is that those things can be hidden whereas things like power lines, quarry, busy road, telephone mast, factory etc cannot.

It's possible no price reduction would be necessary because a buyer would at least know to be wary and be able to avoid such a neighbour and such grief. There is also the possibility a neighbour would move so such disclosure would not result in much price reduction if any and you would have done the right thing by your fellow countryman.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481657 by spoook
Maybe we all take a deep breath and stop pointing. [:I]

A comment has been made that, if the seller had "warned" about the n/bours, it would be subjective. How would the seller know that it was not just a personality clash between themselves and n/bour?
I could say the same about n/bours I have/ had in the past but maybe it was me that was the issue? :confused:
Who is to say that the new owners would not get along fine with them ? Being "warned" about them could be classed as libelous.

This forum is NOT the place for name calling .....other members or administrators. 'Yes I was "told off" by some administrator which I thought was pretty childish and petty but that's control freaks for you" ...... especially the owner [:0]

We all have the privilege to be part of this forum and the extended this family we are. We should not abuse it or use it as some soapbox to air our grievances to gain compassion for our situation.

This is not to say I do do care about the situation, here is not the place for name calling and pointing fingers.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 3 months ago #481661 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Update on neighbours from hell
I would like to disclose that I am the neighbour from hell. My expectations are ridiculous, according to several of my neighbours, in that I expect them to be considerate of my right to live and work on my own property without interference or disturbance. I wish to live without pollution from illegal burning, without animals straying onto my property and causing damage (whether or not that damage is considered important by the straying animal's owner), without excessive noise, and I'd quite like it if they tried to obey the law in terms of dog control and drinking and driving.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481668 by spoook
Me too Ruth [}:)] Having been here for some number of years, I feel intruded upon sometimes. Ahhhh progress.[B)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 3 months ago #481669 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Update on neighbours from hell
I think, based on that last statement, that I could handle living next door to you Ruth. As long as you don't consider the noise from the open exhaust on my diesel tractor to be excessive. I don't use it very often and only in the day time as the lights don't work.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481679 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Update on neighbours from hell
When are you moving in, Igor?

One of the neighbours is a dairy farmer who could make his shed noise a lot quieter by shutting the machine-room roller door, but never will because that's his right! However, my shift in attitude has made it quite bearable: I don't have to milk cows as often as I hear him doing it and I bet I enjoy myself a great deal more, even though no doubt he earns lots more money. I just think of him having to work in there every time I hear the machine running ... No, that's not strictly true, because I don't actually give him as a person much thought at all. I am simply grateful I'm not living his life.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481721 by Vindictivemob
Still going on about this, sheesh. I get along well with your neighbours as does everyone else in Diggers Valley. It really is about time you moved on Ruth. That place has been a dairy farm longer than you have been in the area, so stop worrying what everyone else is doing and enjoy your lifestyle block.

You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse

More
10 years 3 months ago #481722 by Vindictivemob
Best of luck Sugarpie. I hope things work out.

You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse

More
10 years 3 months ago #481729 by Stikkibeek
As the "victim" of what I consider "bad neighbours" I have sympathy for anyone who gets stuck in such a situation. We had neighbours with a dog that killed chooks, and a male that threw used condoms into my prized garden on one side and his badly behaved kids called me a cow everytime I walked out that side of the house; and, neighbours with two dogs that killed one of our cats, jumped a substantial fence and crapped all over the prized garden. They also barked all night
I ended up laying complaints with the local police in both cases. The first for the chook killers and the filthy behaviour and abuse. That complaint got the chook killers moved on (they were renters and I knew the owner well) The other family got rid of one of their dogs and the situation changed very satisfactorily. I complained after the male in that family threatened me, when peaceful negotiation on my part caused a backlash. I know how stressful it all got and was very pleased to see an end to all the nonsense. It can cause worry that is bad enough to start having an effect on one's health too.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds