Laws on vehicle use

More
11 years 3 months ago #451807 by sugarpie
Replied by sugarpie on topic Laws on vehicle use

Megan;449897 wrote: "and I would be very unhappy that none of these problems were disclosed with respect to the property purchase"

Caveat Emptor - sucks doesn't it, but why would you disclose anything which may prevent you getting a sale, if you weren't required to by law.

Well I guess I must have been brought up differently because regardless of the legal aspect of with-holding important imformation like the previous neighbours did I would never have done that. These days of course it's every man(or woman) for himself(or herself).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451810 by sugarpie
Replied by sugarpie on topic Laws on vehicle use
(removed)
Now regarding the council - I have had a running battle all year with them. First off they advised to ring noise control but they never turned up, saying it was outside their jurisdiction or something, then they ring me up and say "oh yes we will respond to any callouts". OK fine - so we call noise control and what happens? Nothing. Oh yeah they turn up ok but then they sit on the road while the noise is happening a good 100 metres down the driveway and deem it "acceptable". One night I rang 3 times in an hour of constant revving and racing and they say when they turned up it was quiet!!
Another issue was zoning. We were only able to get a mortgage based on the urban rates for the property, but it appears now(and we've only just been told this) that the actual land is zoned as rural, and apparently that is taken into account with any noise call out(they think that being rural there is more scope for leniency on noise) and I have had that confirmed by the noise control guy I have been talking with at the council.
So we're back to square one - they have a system, but because of the way the place is basically double zoned we pay urban rates, which includes the noise control system, but because we're zoned rural the noise control system will never work for us because they allow more noise based on a rural zoning!!! It's almost laughable - it 's hard to laugh though when you're trying to enjoy your lifestyle and it's being ruined by morons like that.
(removed)

More
11 years 3 months ago #451824 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Laws on vehicle use
Are you able to plant trees along the fenceline? That could help mitigate some of the noise. Also - talk directly to your local Councillor. If things aren't being done in a fair manner, then get them to fight for you.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451856 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Laws on vehicle use
Human nature being as it is Sugarpie, we all have different beliefs as to what is acceptable, and what isn't. The trouble with declaring to a potential new purchaser that ''next door'' is this or that,can bring a whole bunch of nasty legal action from the neighbours esp. if they become or are the next best friend of the new purchasers and they ''tell'' on the seller for the warning....

Don't get me wrong as I stated in other posts similar happened to us for the first couple of years we were living here and I felt very isolated to say the least and its only in the last 12 months I have started to sleep well and not worry about next door.

• Akzle
11 years 3 months ago #451860 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Laws on vehicle use
buy a big stereo, turn it up to 11.

AFAIK noise control laws only affect between 10pm and 7 am or so.

i'm assuming you've tried the obvious: talking to them?

you could buy a decibel meter, take recordings and have some evidence to back up your complaint...

or build a trebouchet and use them for target practice...

More
8 years 7 months ago #514347 by Kiwi Tussock
Replied by Kiwi Tussock on topic Laws on vehicle use
I really want to do something about this but the council won't come to the party.

If a Council won't abide by their own By Laws, send them a Legal letter as if you are going to take the Council to Court.
Then sit back and see who does the fastest 100metre dash.

I know it works!

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds