Neighbours cows-advice please?

More
13 years 9 months ago #334524 by PalmyCol
wow that neighbour sounds like a right A hole, after the 2nd time he chopped up the wire I don't think I would have been able to contain myself. Seems like a very strange way to behave when it is hard to see why he "thought" ( and I use that word generously ) it was bad to have the outriggers there. Theft and willfull damage at the least, if he lived next to me I may have "enticed" one of his cattle into my freezer in lieu of the fence

4trees;321650 wrote: Hi, if you put an electric fence up get some outriggers you probably won't want that many, they come in different lengths and if you get the ones about 2ft long they go on the top wire, that will stop them leaning over, but if they are putting their head through between the wires some windbreak on your side of the boudary fence will possibly stop them. We have had this problem with our neighbour, and the council bylaws here for stock is if it is a stallion or bulls it must have outriggers, cows mares are OK, it is our problem, we put up outriggers at our cost on the top of the fence which worked well until the neighbour found them a chopped the electric wire in pieces, flogged the outriggers and threw the chopped up wire into our paddock. We put a new electric wire up with new outriggers and the same thing happened again, so not to be beaten my husband waited for him to go on holiday and ran more wires closer together on the fence and extended the height and the neighbour has moved out, so that is still in position. Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #334547 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Neighbours cows-advice please?
My brother is in a similar situation and inherited rambling roses on the fence between the Dairy farmer next door and his small property. NO problem at all. They seem to have figured that roses are not fun on the tongue and give his fence line a wide berth!

More
13 years 9 months ago #334574 by PalmyCol
Your brother is lucky DiDi, I sometimes let my sheep into my front yard when grass it tight and they go straight for my roses and eat the leaves, I would have thought the prickles might have put them off but nope :confused: mind you they do seem to eat 1 leaf at a time

More
13 years 9 months ago #334637 by LongRidge
PC, I think that you may not be correct. The space within your fence, and as high as your highest tree is yours. This allows your neighbours to prune your trees back to the boundary .... but they are not allowed to steal anything of that plant such as the wood, the leaves, the flowers or the fruit. They must give those back to you unless you authorise otherwise.
That the cows of the neighbour are stealing her trees is exactly the same as if the neighbour was doing it himself, because he is responsible for keeping his animals, and all parts of each animal, out of his place.

More
13 years 9 months ago #334669 by PalmyCol
Yes you are right LR about not being able to take the tree, leaves etc... from the neighbours property, and in fact if you prune back the trees ( some bylaws allow you to cut up to 300mm inside the neighbours boundary while trimming ) You would have a very hard job getting the council to do something about cows leaning through the fence as opposed to getting out of the paddock. And of course boundary fence costs are split between both neighbours, so it would be an uphill battle trying to convince the neighbour to pay for or fix a fence that is doing it's job of containing the cattle, even if they are eating the bushes which were planted too close to the boundary.
If the cows are damaging the fence by leaning on it then that may be a different story but doesn't seem to be worth going to war with the neighbour when a simple hotwire around the top would probably solve the problem.
And by the look of Mollymops first post there is already a hotwire up, it just needs power, mains unit $130 on trade me, 50m of underground 1.6mm wire to run from the house to the fence ( can be tied along the fence not underground ) $35 from Strainrite.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds