help! rules about livestock keeping

More
13 years 10 months ago #332949 by Ronney

earthpeace;319778 wrote: sorry i'm back with the Qs I'm very excited with all this, its very interesting :D
What places have the best climate for veg and livestock growing? Is there places with sea views :) or does the sea winds dry the land out?

Anyboby know of somebody with a place for sale? about 100htr mixed grass/wood with no near neighbours[;)] that we can look at when we come over (Aug-sep). I been looking at the trademe site, but the prices don't make sense to me , some look really expensive compared to france and some silly cheap. What is the best way to find a place at the right price?

Ah, that would explain your good English - but your still one up on me anyway as English is my first, second and only language!

Probably Northland or the Far North would fit a lot of the criteria you are looking for and I don't say that just because I live here. But, in all honesty, you are probably better waiting until you get here, can have a bit of a look around and make up your own minds as to what area will suit you.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #332978 by Gracelands

earthpeace;319778 wrote: I been looking at the trademe site, but the prices don't make sense to me , some look really expensive compared to france and some silly cheap. What is the best way to find a place at the right price?

IMO, there are two main factors that determine pricing of NZ farms. The first is commuting distance to a reasonably sized city, and the second is the lay of the land. Those silly cheap places will either be straight up and down with little grazable land and/or be a loooog way from civilisation. Think 2 or 3 hours of hard windy roads. Oh, and the third factor would be housing. A McMansion on the site combined with close proximity to a city will push the price into lala land.

I'm also thinking it might be diffuclt to support yourselves on 100 hectares beef/sheep with no off-farm income. Depending on your lifestyle expectations of course. Not impossible, of course, but certainly not a luxury lifestyle, even without a mortgage. A lot of big stuff in NZ (like cars, etc) costs more than in Europe, because it all has to be imported.

Good luck with your search. You're making the right choice. This is the best place in the world to live, in my opinion. :D

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

• Jack
13 years 9 months ago #333046 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic help! rules about livestock keeping
GIDDAY

Well my advice is don't even think about buying hyere till you have come out and know a bit more about things.

In France you probably still have subsidies etc. and here we have done away with them and have a hugely diferent cost structure. Like Gracelands said,100 hectares beef/sheep with no off-farm income would be extremely difficult but no doubt in france you would be at home on the pigs back.

More
12 years 3 months ago #405159 by earthpeace
Hi everyone, its been a while since i posted on here,, we have a buyer for our farm in france and its a golden opportunity to come visit and see if NZ is as nice as we hope it is. My father will come first in January/February as we still have livestock to look after. Is there anyone who would be willing to have my father steve (british) stop by and have a chat about the area, livestock, living ect,. There was a few kind offers last time i was posting and i wonder if your offer where still on, if so can you please pm so we can start a visit plan map , wish you all great Christmas holidays

More
12 years 3 months ago #405206 by LongRidge
I cannot offer accomodation but would be more than happy to spend part of a day with your Dad if he wants to look around Brighwater near Nelson. He would have to fit in with whatever I need to do on he Life Sentence Block on that day though. There have been a couple of big places for sale near Wakefield over the past few months, if you have $NZ4-5million. I don't know if they have sold yet.

More
12 years 3 months ago #405233 by Cinsara

earthpeace;319778 wrote: thanks for the replies and the comment on the English but i am English living in france!

I knew that because I didn't spot a single "ow you say err" :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 3 months ago #405527 by earthpeace
I have sent you a pm longridge, unfortunate we not a millionaire :( our budget would be more like 700th maxi as we need a bit spare it buy livestock, solar panels ect

cinsara yes its strange that you always go back to your native tongue in pause and when you just hit your thumb with a hammer:rolleyes:

More
12 years 3 months ago #405532 by Cinsara

earthpeace;401314 wrote: Igo back to your native tongue in pause and when you just hit your thumb with a hammer:rolleyes:

I think that part is universal, everyone can understand that language no matter what dialogue it's spoken in :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds