Gluten and dairy free visitors

More
7 years 3 months ago #528790 by kai
Got some family coming over from the UK one does not eat gluten or dairy, it will probably be only a breakfast and snack I need to provide.
Whilst she has said a fried breakfast (obviously gluten free sausages) without an egg is fine, it would be nice as they have come so far to make something a little special.
Normally I would be thinking omelette, pancakes but of course neither of that is any good, she is not fond of bread as has learnt to do without it.

Ideas please, if something new, I would like to practice first, they are coming beginning of February

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528797 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Gluten and dairy free visitors
Excellent post! I have a family member with similar dietary issues arriving late February, however she has said eggs are fine for her diet, she finds fruit sets her tummy issues off (as well as the gluten and dairy issues).

More
7 years 3 months ago #528802 by eelcat
Try these
www.foodbymars.com/home/2016/easy-cloud-...-grain-free-low-carb

I made these for a guest - very successful. Then if they can tolerate, serve with runny jam or golden syrup.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
7 years 3 months ago #528805 by Stikkibeek
Looks interesting Eelcat, unfortunately kai's visitor eats neither eggs nor dairy. Could be worth trying for the rest of us though.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 3 months ago #528826 by Hawkspur
Potato fritters can be easy and tasty. Similar to hash browns, my mum made them with grated potato, squeezed and drained, sprinkle a little GF cornflour over and some cracked pepper and a little thyme to taste, and stir to a slightly sticky mess. Fry in small thin-ish patties fairly slowly so they don't fall apart when turned.
They'd go well with some good bacon and maybe green salad with basil, cherry tomatoes and nuts?
Fresh fruit salad is a nice easy option too.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528841 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Gluten and dairy free visitors

Stikkibeek wrote: Looks interesting Eelcat, unfortunately kai's visitor eats neither eggs nor dairy. Could be worth trying for the rest of us though.

They sound nice, there is also an added complication, I am a diabetic so I follow a low sugar diet

More
7 years 3 months ago #528842 by kai
I have just found and tried soy yoghurt which could be nice with fruit for brekkie

And Idlis could be an option, though not sure what to serve them with for breakfast.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #528919 by seatil
To be honest, I'd probably go down the cooked breakfast route with this one (I know, I know, you wanted something different...), using a variety of things, such as the gluten free sausages, bacon, eggs (or scrambled tofu), pan fried potato cubes or potato fritters, plus fried tomatoes, avocado and toast, taking care to avoid cross contamination. Everyone can take or leave bits as required, but still get a really satisfying meal. The goal for me is for each person to be able to eat 2/3 of the items on offer. As a person my own set of dietary quirks, I would be rapt to receive a substantial cooked breakfast that meets those quirks when away from home.

If you're really keen to avoid the big fry up, sweetcorn fritters? They can be made both gluten free and egg free at the same time. I just don't know how they'd line up with a diabetic diet.

Or breakfast burritos/tacos using corn tortillas. Our local countdown sells pre-made corn tortillas (gluten free, no egg or dairy ingredients) that would be good for this. Or you could get some masa harina (Bin Inn sells it up here) and have fun making your own (I have a tortilla press, but a rolling pin works too).
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by seatil.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528933 by Anakei
Google Whole30 recipes. The Whole30 is a way of eating that is the pinnacle of "clean" No processed food, no dairy, (milk products) no grains, and tend to be on the lower carb scale, so should be useful to you as well. There are lots of recipe ideas for breakfasts, though eggs are used in some recipes,but you should be able to find something you can use.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkspur, kai

More
7 years 3 months ago #529244 by kai
I there such a thing as non dairy cheese?

I have decided to make spaghetti bolognaise with gluten and egg free pasta, served with garlic bread made from GF pizza bases I found in the supermarket and topped with garlic in olive oil.

For breakfast soy yoghurt with fresh fruit I have taste tested the yoghurt and it is pretty nice. The one who eats everything can have a bacon sandwich if he wants.

More
7 years 3 months ago #529245 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Gluten and dairy free visitors
That sounds great! As for dairy-free cheese:
www.thecrueltyfreeshop.co.nz/vegan-food/dairy-free-cheese

More
7 years 3 months ago #529257 by Anakei

kai wrote: I there such a thing as non dairy cheese?

I have decided to make spaghetti bolognaise with gluten and egg free pasta, served with garlic bread made from GF pizza bases I found in the supermarket and topped with garlic in olive oil.

For breakfast soy yoghurt with fresh fruit I have taste tested the yoghurt and it is pretty nice. The one who eats everything can have a bacon sandwich if he wants.

Have you taste tested the pasta and bread? The gluten free versions I have tried have been revolting :S

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds