Apple cider vinegar Recipe?

More
8 years 1 month ago #519562 by nikolye
I am one of the many whom have jumped on the ACV train. I use it for alot, mainly salad dressing, animal tonic, hair care... I'd use it for more if it wasn't so blasted expensive. I have a bucket of baking apples from a friends tree perfect for making my own. I am a big fan of the Wendyl Nissen recipes usually, but there is a big difference between her recipe and every other one i came across. She makes bulk, most others make these dainty little jars (so they can sterilize them) She adds sugar to the apple water after its sat for a week and been strained.. then the long wait happens without the apples. most people add the sugar to the water and apples straight away then strain after a week or two. will there be much difference.. and would anyone know why she goes that route? wendyls.co.nz/apple-cider-vinegar/ I'd love to hear a few tried and true Apple cider vinegar recipes with "the mother" if anyone has one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #519581 by tonybaker
to make vinegar you first make wine! Believe me, plenty of my wine has turned into vinegar...The alcohol in the cider is what transforms via fermentation into acetic acid, which is the beneficial organic compound that gives apple cider vinegar its sour taste.

I would put about 4 kilos apples in the freezer for a few days (helps to soften them) then pour boiling water over them to make a gallon. When it cools to the touch throw in some yeast(any will do) and about 3 cups white sugar that you have disolved in warm water. Cover the top of the vessel to stop flies getting in and leave it to ferment about two weeks. Syphon the juice off and put it into a container with a gauze cover.

Eventually a milky film will develop, this is the vinegar mother. You can add some good organic vinegar to hasten the process. Don't use the vinegar for pickling unless you can test it for acetic acid content of 5%. Plenty of other recipes on Google....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikolye, DedeRu

More
8 years 1 month ago #519872 by natacha
Replied by natacha on topic Apple cider vinegar Recipe?
I usually make fruit scrap vinegar, mainly with apples. I stew the fruit and preserve for eating with yoghurt, muesli,... I have been making for several years now and use it for our and our animal's health. I usually store it in wine bottles, or in 10L buckets. The recipe is easy: 2 cups fruit peel and core (apple, pear, persimmon, quince, etc), 1L water and 1/2 cup sugar. Put contents in a bucket, stir every other day for about a week, then strain into another bucket and leave until the liquid stops bubbling. You can add some of your previous batch of vinegar. Usually mine forms a white film on top after a few weeks. Although it probably isn't as strong as the commercial variety I feel it still has the beneficial properties.
Tonybaker, I would love to know how to mesure acetic acid content, any tips?
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikolye

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #526348 by wandering free
safe Ph

I always use a Ph meter but I don't think you can easily work out how much acetic acid there is as the Ph varies with the amount of malic acid in the cider, I took the Ph of Braggs cider vinegar and got a Ph of 3,15 but find mine are around Ph3.4 but start at Ph3.8 with an alcohol level of 7 so should be about 7% acetic acid, I don't think you can get as low a figure with desert apples unless you add some malic acid to lower the Ph, I would be interested in hearing other people's opinion.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by wandering free.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527276 by willownat
Hey, I have made apple cider vinegar. We were fortunate to be involved in the process. Firstly chop apples, extract juice. Bottle juice. Put cotton wool stopper in bottle so mix can breath. Put somewhere to sit, my brew took 6 weeks to form good culture. . Crazy I know. But I used old 5 ltre vinegar cleaned bottle and I remember it lasting a long time. I only used it for making salad dressing though. Culture looked like a piece of muslin cloth. Hope that helps

More
7 years 5 months ago #527301 by kashish
Replied by kashish on topic Apple cider vinegar Recipe?
I also prepared apple vinegar recipe according to a similar recipe provided by youtube. It was tasty and containing good fragrance. I used fresh spices in it. Spices give it good taste and color too.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527368 by Hillsworth Homestead
www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-indus...ction-1194343964.htm

I use this, not expensive and its made by making wine then vinegar.

He's local to Masterton, so really convenient for me and he will ship if need be.

:)

Me (Bryan), a great wife (Julia), a fantastic daughter (Molly), 1 Dog (Vizsla / Collie Cross), 6 Hereford Calves, 5 Chickens, 2 Pigs, 5 Ewe's and a random number of Rams depending on the neighbour currently grazing the paddocks.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527398 by tonybaker
just be aware that you need 5% acetic acid for bottling. Occasionally you will find four percent acetic acid vinegar. This is salad vinegar and not strong enough to make good quality pickles that will be heat processed.

Do not use wine vinegars or other flavoured vinegars when you make pickles unless you are sure of their acetic acid content. Do not use homemade vinegar when you make pickles because the acetic acid content is unknown and variable.

I guess you could always add a bit of glacial acetic acid to boost it?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #529923 by DedeRu
Replied by DedeRu on topic Apple cider vinegar Recipe?
Thanks for advice! I do exactly the same, but I've never thought about the freezer. I will do in such way in the next season!

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds