Fermenting Fail

More
9 years 9 months ago #37925 by shad297
Fermenting Fail was created by shad297
I know some of you have had more experience in fermenting veges than me, but a few days ago I made a batch of ginger and carrots using Himalayan salt and it has gone all thick and gloopy/slimy.
Previously when I have made kimchi I used sea salt but thought this time I would use the Himalayan.
I know not to use iodised salt and wondered why it went wrong. I also tasted it and it isn't very nice.
I did add a bit of brine to ensure the liquid was covering the carrots. Luckily this is only a small batch.
Any help/tips gratefully received. :(

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490094 by Buttons
Replied by Buttons on topic Fermenting Fail
I was worried about this when making carrots and and from what I read its due to not enough salt. In come cases it's part of the process and if left for a few days will disappear.

What recipe did you use and how long has it been going for?

I've used pink Himalayan salt in mine and they have been okay.

• atifn79
9 years 6 months ago #496374 by atifn79
Replied by atifn79 on topic Fermenting Fail
There may be much water content or low content vinegar or aerobic condition may lead to fermentation failure.

More
9 years 4 months ago #498771 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Fermenting Fail
I always put some cabbage with carrots & ginger, some daikon radish as well so far it hasn't failed.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/504370=15003-henslot 309.jpg[/img]

Recovering Lifestyler

More
9 years 4 months ago #498791 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Fermenting Fail
I think not enough salt, Perhaps the himalayan salt is less "salty" because of the mineral content so you might have to up the amount. You can keep it and see if it recovers but personally I would bin it if its slimy :(

I find a brine ferment too salty so I prefer to use whey as a starter and less salt - I have kefir whey or you can strain some active plain yoghurt and use that. The other thing is to use some liquid from a successful previous ferment and that reduces the chances of failure.
Good luck :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 4 months ago #498819 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Fermenting Fail
I do not understand the fad of using himalayan salt, it is just unpurified rock salt. In England we put it by the bucket load on the roads and would not dream of eating it. Because it is unpurified who knows what else is in it along with the sodium chloride.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds