Elderberry Champagne

More
10 years 8 months ago #36142 by RayH
Elderberry Champagne was created by RayH
Hi all, I have just noticed that he elderberry flowers are starting to bloom has anyone got any recipies for Elderberry Champagne ? I have seen one recipe on you tube the following links provided but wanted to know if anyone else has made it ? ive been collecting lindauer bottles for a while in preparation. I have 23 so far ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #472397 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Elderberry Champagne
A couple of recipes both of which have worked for me, but if you don't want the worry of whether or not it will fizz or if it is so fizzy it blows the tops off the bottles, or you want non alcoholic, you can make the cordial and use lemonade instead of water to make by the glass.

4litres Boiling water
2 and 1/2 cups sugar
7 fresh elderflower heads (more if you like a stronger taste)
2 chopped lemons
2tablespoons white wine vinegar
Pour bvoiling water over sugar and stir to dissolve. Cool
Add flowers, lemon, vinegar
Leave 24 hours then strain and bottle. Cap bottles and leave 2-3 weeks before drinking.

2. This is a small quantity, I usually do at least double.
6-8 elder flowers (again, moreif you want)
1/2litre water
500gms castor sugar
2 teaspoons citric acid or cider vinegar
juice and zest of 1 lemon
Bring sugar and water to boil and stir till sugar dissolves
Put flowers in a bowl and pour the syrup over, stir in lemon and vinegar
Cover and leave 24 hours
Strain and bottle
Mix to taste with water or lemonade.

More
10 years 6 months ago #475813 by craighill
Replied by craighill on topic Elderberry Champagne
I have made this recipe a few times always comes out nice ,ready to drink in 2 to 3 weeks from bottling

Elderflower Champagne recipe

Ingredients

4 litres hot water
700g sugar
Juice and zest of four lemons
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
About 15 elderflower heads, in full bloom
A pinch of dried yeast (you may not need this)

METHOD
How to make elderflower champagne

1. Put the hot water and sugar into a large container (a spotlessly clean bucket is good) and stir until the sugar dissolves, then top up with cold water so you have 6 litres of liquid in total.

2. Add the lemon juice and zest, the vinegar and the flower heads and stir gently.

3. Cover with clean muslin and leave to ferment in a cool, airy place for a couple of days. Take a look at the brew at this point, and if it's not becoming a little foamy and obviously beginning to ferment, add a pinch of yeast.

4. Leave the mixture to ferment, again covered with muslin, for a further four days. Strain the liquid through a sieve lined with muslin and decant into sterilised strong glass bottles with champagne stoppers (available from home-brewing suppliers) or Grolsch-style stoppers, or sterilized screw-top plastic bottles (a good deal of pressure can build up inside as the fermenting brew produces carbon dioxide, so strong bottles and seals are essential).

5. Seal and leave to ferment in the bottles for at least a week before serving, chilled. The champagne should keep in the bottles for several months. Store in a cool, dry place.

More
10 years 6 months ago #475830 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Elderberry Champagne
i'll go ahead and suggest buying proper champagne yeast from a brew shop, and proper bottling technique, which is slightly involved, from memory. Upside down in ice and whatnot.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 5 months ago #478294 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic Elderberry Champagne
Ive opened my first bottle of elder flower champagne last week .......its is delicious. it has a beautiful aroma like sweet honey and rose flowers or just like elderflowers I guess lol.
I HAVE GIVEN SOME TO FRIENDS AND THEY LOVE IT.
it has lots of bubbles and is fizzy. it is a lemon cordial colour .MUST be drunk cold or well chilled.

I made 19 bottles and one exploded.

you really do need to have lindauer bottles with wire to hold the tops down.

I made mine with elderflowers 2 shopping bags full and a brewing container I think 18 litres of water plus 3kgs sugar and juice of 5 lemons I forgot the white wine vinegar. took 2 days to soak all ingredients together .

I didn't not sieve it well enough so a bit of sediment in the bottle.
I cant wait for spring this year I plan on making as much as I can. it will keep for years I am told.

More
10 years 5 months ago #478314 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Elderberry Champagne
You will always get sediment if you want fizz as its the yeast that make fizz then die.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

More
10 years 5 months ago #478335 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Elderberry Champagne
We made it for the first time this year - love it - very successful. Last night we had it with a red current cordial added. Very pretty and oh so yummy.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 4 months ago #479961 by 3 girls farming
I can vouch for Ray's Champagne... had a bottle last night and it was really yummy... I really don't think it will 'last for years' Ray.. it tastes way too good for that...

More
10 years 4 months ago #480217 by RayH
im glad you liked it was my first time it needs to be chilled to taste good I think. I need to filter it too for the sediment and make the bottles better ...ill make lots more this year .and try it out again. I like it lots and its non alcoholic I like the fragrance

More
10 years 4 months ago #480219 by RayH
I wonder if a mix of elderflowers and rhubarb might be a goer ? with 4tree recipe for fizzy rhubarb drink

More
10 years 4 months ago #480385 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Elderberry Champagne
I made elderflower champagne once, but I found that if I kept it past a few months the addition of vinegar turned it - so not something that would keep for a long time.

Also, I used one plastic bottle that had been weakened slightly (hot water) and it exploded with such force it broke a window. (ie the plastic bottle got caught in a cobweb and the force of the liquid blew a hole in the window)

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds