Pork pie jelly recipe?

• Andrea
11 years 5 months ago #33794 by Andrea
Pork pie jelly recipe? was created by Andrea
I've never made a 'proper' one before, and since I've got heaps of pork bones and trotters in the freezer, I'd like to give it a go, including the jelly.... does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe to share?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447729 by kiwi39
Replied by kiwi39 on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
Never have made one but jelly seems easy enough to make.

Maybe there's a Jamie O recipe out there ?

Tim

Kind regards ,

Tim

More
11 years 5 months ago #447730 by kiwi39
Replied by kiwi39 on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?

Kind regards ,

Tim

More
11 years 5 months ago #447739 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
Did you watch the Great British Bake off tonight? they made raised pork pies, very interesting and I would love to try sometime. Quite technical in that the pastry has to be warm whilst moulding.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447754 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
I have got one in a 1919 Mrs Beatons Cookery book (the British Classic)
or one from Jane Grigson's English food book (I recommend her books, she did a lot of research for them.
Here is a blog of someone trying to cook all the dishes in her book
neilcooksgrigson.blogspot.co.nz/2011/10/312-pork-pie.html

More
11 years 5 months ago #447755 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
Sorry just read your thread again, you actually wanted the jelly recipe not the whole recipe oops!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447803 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
Just the jelly only?

Isn't it just gelatine mass? Drop the trotters, joints, nose and cartiledgy bits in a pot and simmer over low heat for hours and hours until everything is soft and falling apart, strain the solids out through cheesecloth or the like and leave the liquid to keep warm so it does not solidify while cooking the pie fillings. Once the pie cases are made and the fillings cooked, sppon the fillings in, pour the cases full with the liquid and place the top on the pie. Bake till the pie topping is golden, then let cool.

The gelatine jelly should set solid and the pies eaten cold as a lunch dish with maybe a potato salad, wedge of cheese and a slab of bread, or another cold side dish or two.

The jelly is not there for flavour, unlike gravy in a hot pie, but to lock the contents solidly so a cut wedge of a larger pie could go with a farmer to the ploughing, a miner into the tunnels or a shepherd to the hillside with his flock, without oozing the contents out into the lunch box.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 5 months ago #448533 by Iniuk
Replied by Iniuk on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
We used to reserve the jelly liquid.
When the pies are cooked pour the warmed liquid jelly carefully in through the hole you will have left in the top of the pie.
I don't think I used to cook the meat first, but there'll be less shrinkage if you do. The pastry is indeed made with hot fat- should be heaps of old recipes- it seems counter-intuitive but it works just fine.

More
11 years 5 months ago #448547 by cappina
Replied by cappina on topic Pork pie jelly recipe?
Hi Andrea,

here is one recipe that sounds about right (I usually don't really measure my jelly...). You can adjust it to your amount of pork trotters - or pies! : )
It's roughly translated by google, but I think it's ok:

4 pigs feet, split (by the butcher in advance),
1 onion,
1 bay leaf,
2 cloves,
1 bunch of soup greens (means 1 carrot, maybe 2 celery sticks, parsley),
3 juniper berries,
6 peppercorns,
salt,
100 ml white vinegar,
200ml dry white wine (substitute vegetable stock)
Step 1
Wash the pigs feet in cold water. Bring 2 ½ liters of water with the feet and 1 tsp salt to the boil and then simmer for 1 ½ hours. In the first 15 minutes skim off foam several times.
Step 2
Peel onion and lard it with bay leaf and cloves. Greens - wash and coarsely chop. Halfway through the cooking time, add the vegetables with the remaining ingredients into the pot.
Step 3
Strain the broth, let cool, degrease and reheat. Allow the liquid to boil in an open pot, until it is reduced by almost half.
Use more salt, a good pinch of sugar and vinegar to taste.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds