Gluten Intolerance? - Food for Thought

More
11 years 7 months ago #32780 by Organix
This article raises some very interesting issues related to the epidemic of gluten intolerance that is growing in Western countries :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #436631 by KiplingAngel
Interesting reading can also be found with:

* Deep Nutrition - By Catherine Shanahan

* Gut and Psychology Syndrome - Natasha Campbell McBride

* Nourishing Traditions - Sally Fallon Morrell

* Eat till you're full and stop gaining weight - Tannis Laidlaw

Essentially a grain based diet is killing us - increasing suseptability to allergins, and affecting our very DNA.

More
11 years 7 months ago #437174 by Simkin
Great article.

I, too, can't eat normal wheat but am fine on spelt.

More
11 years 7 months ago #437186 by Blueberry

Simkin;436325 wrote: Great article.

I, too, can't eat normal wheat but am fine on spelt.

have you tried properly fermented sourdough bread?

i don't mean the fake sourdough that is sold by most bakeries[xx(][xx(], but proper sourdough that has been soaked then fermented for at least 24 hours before baking.

i bake sourdough for a couple of families where the kids have negative reactions to storebought wheat bread, but are fine with my sourdough wheat. I offer 6 varieties of sourdough, 4 options are wheat free.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 7 months ago #437190 by Hawkspur
If you can eat spelt, then you may well be able to eat some of the many other varieties of wheat. It is hard to know what type of wheat you are getting though, as there are so many forms around, because it has been a cultivated crop for so long. Many wheats have rye as part of their family tree, as many crossings of these have been done since at least the 19th century, to introduce some of the rye resistance to certain fungi and other rye traits.

More
11 years 7 months ago #437270 by Simkin
Blueberry - I bake my own rye sourdough bread[^] and only eat very little spelt. After a recent wheat experience[xx(] I don't feel like trying wheat in any form anytime soon.

Hawkspur - we get organic Arawa wheat which is a low yielding old variety. I don't tolerate it. I've also tried Otane wheat but I'm over it - I'm more than a little intolerant - but not Coeliac.

In regard to sourdough starter:

I've got my own, have kept it alive for some 6 or 7 years now.

However, I've seen sourdough starter for sale on TradeMe - has anyone tried it? Does it taste nicer than random homemade starter?

More
11 years 7 months ago #437372 by KiplingAngel
I popped out to the local organic supermarket yesterday and got some zentrofan flour to try making some sourdough. I would love to work with a starter, but will try the 10 day soak method to start it, and see how it goes.

My daughter is wheat intollerant (not coeliac) and not allergic to gluten, so we will see how this goes...

I'll be using Kay Baxters recipe from her "Change of Heart" book - or is there one which is easier around??

More
11 years 7 months ago #437487 by Blueberry

Simkin;436430 wrote: Blueberry - I bake my own rye sourdough bread[^]

However, I've seen sourdough starter for sale on TradeMe - has anyone tried it? Does it taste nicer than random homemade starter?

Good on you Simkin. Why would you want someone elses SD starter? does that mean yours does not taste nice? I'm quite partial to mine, have had it since i started in September 2007. if you want to try it, PM me, i'll send you a sample. (FOC, of course[;)]) have you tried a mix white spelt/whole rye? it's delicious, not as heavy as full rye. I made my first loaf of proper pumpernickel this weekend[8D][8D] - it was/is suprisingly good - even if i do say so myself :D . Pretty close to the bought stuff. i'll fiddle with it a bit more, but i'm quite pleased with the result. And, what's even better; i did not have to run the oven for 12 hours - i did it in the slow cooker!![:0]

[;)] Blueberry

More
11 years 7 months ago #437505 by KiplingAngel
Slow Cooker Bread???

Do tell!

More
11 years 7 months ago #437649 by Blueberry

KiplingAngel;436690 wrote: Slow Cooker Bread???

Do tell!

i've been toying with the idea of making pumpernickel for a while, but was put off by the loooooong baking time; 12 hours at 120 degrees. who'd want to run the oven that long???

then, the other night, i had this epiphany:rolleyes: "why don't i use the slowcooker??"

So out came the rye grains; put through my mill on the roughest setting, so they were just cracked, not milled, set to soak with boiling water and 150 gms molasses. Once cooled, add ca 250gms of active sourdough (starter), leave to ferment several hours. add some salt, knead through, shape loaf, press into loaf tin, cover tin with baking paper and lid, leave another couple hours to proof again, then put in preheated slowcooker (high), add boiling water around, cover and leave to cook/ferment for 12 hours. take out and put into oven at 120degrees for 1 hour to dry out a bit.

result: moist, heavy, chewy, dark pumpernickel

[;)] Blueberry

More
11 years 7 months ago #437942 by KiplingAngel

Blueberry;436846 wrote: i've been toying with the idea of making pumpernickel for a while, but was put off by the loooooong baking time; 12 hours at 120 degrees. who'd want to run the oven that long???

then, the other night, i had this epiphany:rolleyes: "why don't i use the slowcooker??"

So out came the rye grains; put through my mill on the roughest setting, so they were just cracked, not milled, set to soak with boiling water and 150 gms molasses. Once cooled, add ca 250gms of active sourdough (starter), leave to ferment several hours. add some salt, knead through, shape loaf, press into loaf tin, cover tin with baking paper and lid, leave another couple hours to proof again, then put in preheated slowcooker (high), add boiling water around, cover and leave to cook/ferment for 12 hours. take out and put into oven at 120degrees for 1 hour to dry out a bit.

result: moist, heavy, chewy, dark pumpernickel

Oooooooooooooooooh now that does sound delicious!!!

Might have to see if I can get myself something to mill grains....

More
11 years 7 months ago #438751 by kb1
New book which might be of interest -The Family Friendly Gluten-free Cookbook by Sarah King. It’s full of your favourite baking just made simply gluten free.
If you subscribe to Chelsea Sugar site there is a chance of winning a copy.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438752 by kb1
New book which might be of interest -The Family Friendly Gluten-free Cookbook by Sarah King. It’s full of your favourite baking just made simply gluten free.
If you subscribe to Chelsea Sugar site there is a chance of winning a copy.

More
11 years 6 months ago #441454 by Far Call

Blueberry;436338 wrote: have you tried properly fermented sourdough bread?

i don't mean the fake sourdough that is sold by most bakeries[xx(][xx(], but proper sourdough that has been soaked then fermented for at least 24 hours before baking.

i bake sourdough for a couple of families where the kids have negative reactions to storebought wheat bread, but are fine with my sourdough wheat. I offer 6 varieties of sourdough, 4 options are wheat free.

I have just started my sour dough bug and tested it with a wheat sour dough - it was amazing. You can get wholegrain rye flour from Nutsonline or Healtheries stockists and that will make your sour dough even healthier. Its very filling and worth the time. I find an 18 - 24 hour prove really suits my routine. SOUR DOUGH rocks

More
11 years 6 months ago #441668 by Blueberry

Far Call;441017 wrote: I have just started my sour dough bug and tested it with a wheat sour dough - it was amazing. You can get wholegrain rye flour from Nutsonline or Healtheries stockists and that will make your sour dough even healthier. Its very filling and worth the time. I find an 18 - 24 hour prove really suits my routine. SOUR DOUGH rocks

yeah, best bread ever :D [^][^]

Far Call, there's a lot of growers out there that sell directly to small consumers. i buy mine from Milmore Downs. it's Demeter certified and zentrofan milled if you want it milled. I get both, as i have my own mill to make the rougher stuff.

[;)] Blueberry

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds