Zingy courgette cake

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #31083 by kai
Zingy courgette cake was created by kai
like most people we have an excess of courgettes at this time of year and I am a bit fed up of ratatouille, and other savoury recipes. I have made this cake several times before with different variations, this time I added a zingy lemon drizzle over the top and it went down well at the potluck dinner I went to this evening.
This recipe makes enough for 2 900g loaf tins (and a bit to spare), so I now half the recipe.

3 eggs
240ml oil
480g sugar
720g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
480g courgettes - grated
2 tsp vanilla essence
50g chopped walnuts (also works with pumpkin seeds)

for the lemon drizzle
2 lemons, sugar, water

preheat oven to 180C
whisk eggs and oil
add sugar - beat for 3 mins
fold in flour add everything else and mix
pour into suitable tin or tins

Baking time depends on the quantity of mix used and the type of tin used. For sandwich tins 20 mins is enough, for loaf tins up to an hour.

For the drizzle, put the zest and sugar (amount depends on how much you need depending on the style of tin you used 100g is a ball park figure) and the juice from the lemons in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins.

Prick the cake with a skewer and spoon over the syrup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #418654 by the old ram
Replied by the old ram on topic Zingy courgette cake
G';day kai,just showed it to the CEO and I have been instructed to print it off in the morning.............T.O.R...............

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #418669 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Zingy courgette cake
I make something similar to this and MIL used to when her kids were at home. It is yummy and everyone loves it.
OH prefers savory however so I made one using feta and capsicum(I actually used stuffed pepperdews) the other day and it was a real hit.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds