Havarti question

More
12 years 3 months ago #30660 by pisa
Havarti question was created by pisa
hi all,
yesterday I tried for the first time to make a Havarti. I'm trying to find an all-purpose cheese to replace the bought Colby we eat at the moment. I had thought about trying a Cheddar, but the difference in maturing time decided me against it. Not very patient. [:I]

Anyway,
in my recipe it said that it should have "an open structure".
As I decided to quarter it before putting the wax on, I took some pics and want to get some experts opinions on the visuals! [;)] :p

TIA

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #413373 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Havarti question
I'd be thinking that was a very good Havarti structure - we haven't made any of that yet but we do buy it from Kingsmeade Cheese when we have accommodation guests and it pretty much looks like that

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 3 months ago #413375 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Havarti question
Oooh, thanks eelcat.
That gives me hope.
I can't believe I'm supposed to be waiting for 6-10 weeks after waxing it to mature!!!
I'm pretty sure I will have to try sooner! :p

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
12 years 3 months ago #413381 by cappina
Replied by cappina on topic Havarti question
So far I haven't made cheese, so no pro here - but I ate a lot of Havarti in my previous life... :D
and it looks exactly like it should, I'd say.

I would be more than happy to do some Quality Control later on... :p

More
12 years 3 months ago #413384 by pisa

cappina;409878 wrote: So far I haven't made cheese, so no pro here - but I ate a lot of Havarti in my previous life... :D
and it looks exactly like it should, I'd say.

I would be more than happy to do some Quality Control later on... :p

:p :p I'd better make a couple more batches! I've got a few friends and family who'd like to QC the end product.

And this one is pasteurised too; too long for my comfort zone to not to. And, as the recipe book says, this way you always start at the same point.

More
12 years 3 months ago #413388 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Havarti question
Havarti was my all-time fave cheese when I was growing up (ok... MAYBE second to lappi if it was a good one), and that looks just right! Drool drool drool........

More
12 years 3 months ago #413495 by pisa
Yay,
the wax arrived this afternoon.

I really have to sing PeterNZ's praise here.
I get all my cheese supplies from him ( www.cottagecrafts.co.nz/ ) and the quality and service is superb.
I ordered the wax on Monday afternoon and got a confirmation email for my order. On Tuesday I got confirmation of payment received and this morning an email to confirm that the goods were sent! And this afternoon it was in the letter box.
I have no idea how they do it, but I LOVE it.

This means I will have some cheese left to actually wax: I had tried it this morning and had been nibbling away at it. Quite edible already! :p :p

More
12 years 3 months ago #413497 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Havarti question
We get our things from him too - fantastic service.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 3 months ago #413544 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Havarti question
That looks great. I'm hoping its not all gone by Saturday :D [;)] :p

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 1 month ago #422619 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Havarti question
I am thinking the way to get the best advice is to run a tasting afternoon for LSB members........

Looks really good to me

• Cnenaristo
12 years 2 weeks ago #424200 by Cnenaristo
Replied by Cnenaristo on topic Havarti question
I think that's right!

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds