flour in Quiche

More
12 years 7 months ago #29330 by KelseyU
flour in Quiche was created by KelseyU
Hi all,

Just a quick question, Who puts flour in their quiche?
I made a quiche last night and just googled the recipe as I did not have my cook book with me, and the recipe said to use flour - self raising flour.
I have never put flour in my quiches before and it has made this one very heavy. Must admit I will not be making this recipe again as I did not enjoy it, but I am interested to know who else put flour in there quiche. And if so, does it always comes out heavy?

Thanks

Kels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398738 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic flour in Quiche
way weird.. never heard of that before.. cream,eggs,cheeses, ham etc yes.. i wonder if it was supposed to 'set' it somehow.. very weird..
but thanks for the dinner suggestion !.. been sitting here doing the OMG what do i do for dinner.. now to check the egg production for the day..lets hope the girls have oblidged! :D

More
12 years 7 months ago #398749 by kai
Replied by kai on topic flour in Quiche
yes I put some in, but only a couple of tablespoons

More
12 years 7 months ago #398752 by KelseyU
Replied by KelseyU on topic flour in Quiche
Yeah Quiche would be one of my favs! - zucchini quiche.
A couple of tablespoons ok, yeah this one had 1 cup. 6 eggs, 1 cup flour, 1 cup cheese and 2 cups of milk. It didnt raise or anything. I must of just picked the worst quiche recipe ever! just my luck.

Kels

More
12 years 7 months ago #398773 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic flour in Quiche
Years ago a flatmate used a recipe for quiche with flour. It was a no pastry recipe.
It was not too bad, but he had just that and macaroni cheese in his repertoire...[xx(]

More
12 years 7 months ago #398785 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic flour in Quiche
think it was a wieght watcher recipe that had the SRF we majke this one alot.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398801 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic flour in Quiche
I do a crustless one that has a bit of flour in it, self raising, other than that, standard quiche is pastry base, bake blind and add eggs, milk, and the rest of the filling ingredients. I made one on weekend for a shared lunch and it was very good. The crustless one I do also is very good.
BTW I never buy SR flour, just plain and add 1 tsp baking powder per cup of flour to make it SR.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398808 by KelseyU
Replied by KelseyU on topic flour in Quiche
Cheers thanks,
this one is crustless. yeah that could of been it, my SRF was very old, I will do the norm flour with BP next time, but I wont be making this recipe again. So thats good to know for future thanks!

Kels

More
12 years 7 months ago #398828 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic flour in Quiche
I also regularly make Alison Holst's self-crusting quiche. Much easier than bothering to make pastry first. The recipe has 3 eggs, one cup of milk and half a cup of self-raising flour in the 'batter'. (I also don't use self raising flour - just standard flour with baking powder added.)

Mine never turns out heavy. I wonder if your self raising flour was too old and had lost its raise?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 7 months ago #398893 by homebirther1
Replied by homebirther1 on topic flour in Quiche
I also have a recipe for a self crusting quiche...it has 1/4 cup of plain flour in it from memory, and always turns out really nicely.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398918 by Redband
Replied by Redband on topic flour in Quiche
I made a crustless one last week and rang mum for the recipe, 1/2cup plain flour and 1 tsp b/powder. Turned out yummy. i put lots of veggies in mine too. Would anyone like to share the self crusting recipe with me? ta

More
12 years 7 months ago #398924 by Lindeggs
Alison Holst's Self-Crusting Vegetable Quiche

1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp butter
3 med potatoes, cooked
3 eggs
3/4 tsp salt [that's three quarters not three or four!]
1 cup milk
Half cup self raising flour
1 cup drained cooked asparagus, mushrooms, spinach or broccoli
1 cup grated tasty cheese

Cook onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add cubed potatoes and cook a minute longer. Cool, then stir in eggs, salt and milk which have been beaten with a fork until mixed. Pour into a large bowl containing the flour and stir with a fork until just combined. Add the other vegetables and cheese.

Pour into a buttered metal pan with a solid (not push-out) base. Garnish as desired. Bake 220 deg C for 20 - 30 mins until lightly browned and set in the centre. Leave to stand 5 mins after removing from the oven.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 7 months ago #398926 by Lindeggs
Actually I use the same ingredients but my technique is different. I fry the onions etc in a heavy cast-iron pan, turn off the heat and throw in all the random pre-cooked vegetables I can find until the pan is almost brimming, pour on the egg/milk/flour/cheese mix and put the whole thing in the oven.

The heat already in the pan shortens the cooking time a little and I save on dishes because I then take the whole pan to the table and use it as the serving dish. A cast iron pan sitting on a chopping board on the table looks pleasantly rustic.

This recipe is a great way to use up left-over roast or boiled vegetables from last night's dinner. Served for lunch with a spoonful of chutney and/or a green salad and/or crusty bread your guests will think you've gone to lots of trouble but it's actually extremely quick and easy. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds