Ideas to use milk

More
12 years 7 months ago #29254 by igor
Ideas to use milk was created by igor
Hi everybody. Our cow is into her second season of milking and my wife is struggling with the quantity of milk we are getting. Last night we had six gallons of milk in the fridges. We make our own cheese and will be starting butter making again too now that we have a proper churn to use. I am seeking any interesting recipes that use lots of milk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #397855 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Ideas to use milk
Bacon! [;)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #397857 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Ideas to use milk
Thought of that Ruth and the pigs will more than likely get their grain soaked in milk but I've been told not to give them too much all at once when they are not used to it as it will blow their bums out.

More
12 years 7 months ago #397861 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ideas to use milk
Eggs

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 7 months ago #397868 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Ideas to use milk
I use the butter milk (left over from butter making) as the liquid in scones.
You can freeze scones and just bring them out as you need them. The butter milk makes them really light and they rise really well.

Yoghurt made the old fashioned way with a bug uses heaps of milk.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 7 months ago #397883 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Ideas to use milk
Well.. CHEESE! There are so many cheeses to make and so much to do with the cheese... a real quickie is fromage blanc (similar to chevre, but traditionally made with cow's milk), which can go into so many things, both sweet and savoury. If you follow the chevre recipe in the Lifestyle File, you should get a good result. A real cheaters way (takes so little time!) of making similar is to get the direct set packets of fromage blanc culture from here:

www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/138-Fromage-Blanc-DS-5-pack.html

I buy in bulk (12 or more) and get them for half price. They last up to a couple of years in the freezer. Each sachet does 4 liters of milk, and there are 5 sachets in a pack, so it's quite economical. Since they weigh very little, freight doesn't amount to much either. Before it gets too hot is a good time to order, as I don't like to get cultures shipped in hot weather. They usually take about a week to get here.

More
12 years 7 months ago #397904 by trixie
Replied by trixie on topic Ideas to use milk
Hi - I freeze the supermarket plastic bottles of milk and that thaws ok - don't know if real milk would. Think it would be fine for baking etc though.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398231 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Ideas to use milk
We have frozen lots of bottles and containers of milk, and it thaws ok, not great for coffee etc, but great for lamb, cheese and baking.
Custard, egg custard slice (can be eaten cold in lunchboxes), lemon custard pudding, bread and butter pudding (ok these all not good for the waste line, but good for filling hungry kids tummies), yoghurt (use a spoon from an easiyo sachet), Tzatziki (drain the yoghurt in a muslin and mix in mint and garlic), Labaneh (drain the yoghurt and sprinkle Morroccan seasoning, Feta (I have a really easy recipe, milkshakes, Frappes (blended ice and milk).

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398346 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Ideas to use milk
as the person above said , bread and butter pudding just made one only takes 4 cups of milk thou , if you make butter then freeze it it normally comes out OK , when we used to get lots of eggs we used to swap with a neighbour for milk and theres always just giving it away :D

More
12 years 7 months ago #398350 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Ideas to use milk
i am saving empty bottles to freeze excess milk in. last year i froze about 15 litres after skimming as much cream off as possible. the cream thats left ends up looking a bit odd, but we just shake the bottle after defrosting and no one notices a difference. with the price of milk and having 8 adults and 2 children in the house i am planning on freezing as much as i can this year!

More
12 years 7 months ago #398711 by Horsey chick
Replied by Horsey chick on topic Ideas to use milk
What about getting a calf to put on her? Turn your excess milk into beef. You can lock the calf up in a yard or pen for a few hours a day prior to milking her so she has a fair amount for you, the calf will still get loads.

More
12 years 7 months ago #398754 by KelseyU
Replied by KelseyU on topic Ideas to use milk
lots and lots of milkshakes!!!! - Lime fav the best!
Or potato bake, but then that is only about a cup or so, and it is way better with cream!!! Add a little chicken stock, and loads of cheese!

Kels

More
12 years 7 months ago #398988 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Ideas to use milk
Thanks for all the input. We are just about keeping on top of the milk production now. The calf runs with the cow all the time and we are getting a bit over two gallons of milk each day, machine milking once a day in the evening as that arrangement fits in best with my real job. We are making a cheese every second day and skimming most of the cream to make butter. The children are drinking lots of banana milkshakes as my wife got a good deal on a case of bananas last week. The pigs and the hens are getting the whey and sometimes the buttermilk. The pigs have had their grain feed soaked in skim milk a few times and the boar gets the hot milky water from rinsing the machine which he seems to enjoy.

More
12 years 7 months ago #399015 by clemclan
Replied by clemclan on topic Ideas to use milk
Rice Pudding, Sago Pudding, Semolina and Macaroni Cheese! yummy! - all freezable too.

- Freelance Proofreader, Editor & Writer

chickens, ducks, dog, cat and guinea pigs! [;)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #399021 by Horsey chick
Replied by Horsey chick on topic Ideas to use milk
Our house cow has 2 calves on her, she's only a 2 year old first calver and she still has loads.
I got 3 litres off her today. Her calves are both fat and healthy and growing so much faster than any I've hand reared ever before.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds