Apple strudel link

More
13 years 10 months ago #23868 by sandra1245
My word! I have never seen this before and I haven't got the time,nor the patience,but I admire this man for showing how to make a dough like this for apple strudel!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #351367 by paulw
Replied by paulw on topic Apple strudel link
Well if you love germo-austrian cuisine. I really recommend "Kaiserschmarn" to you. It's a traditional Austrian dessert, caramelized pancake made with rum-soaked raisins.Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
  • plum preserves for serving
Directions
  • In a small bowl, combine raisins with rum and let soak 30 minutes then drain.
  • In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, white sugar, vanilla, and salt. Gradually whisk in the flour to make a smooth batter. Stir in the drained raisins.
  • In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Pour the batter into the skillet and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until the pancake has set and the bottom is golden brown. Turn over the pancake and cook 3 minutes, or until this side is also golden brown. Using a spatula or two forks, tear the pancake into bite-size pieces. Drizzle in the melted butter and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Turn up the heat to medium high and use a spatula to gently toss the pieces for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has caramelized. Sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar and serve with plum preserves.

More
13 years 7 months ago #353098 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Apple strudel link
That pancake recipe sounds just divine, Paul. Thanks for posting it. Rum and raisin 'anything' is a favourite of mine, but I hadn't thought of using it this way. Going to give it a try.

I just adore Apple Strudel as well - the bakery at the NW supermarket in town has a very nice one which I buy as a treat every now and then. There's something magic about apple and spices...
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds