Best Dog

More
10 years 1 month ago #37330 by Geba
Best Dog was created by Geba
Goodbye yesterday, to the very best dog...Milo our lovely Australian Kelpie.

He came from the Corins as a ball-of-fluff pup, chosen because he was more of a 'people' puppy than some of the others from that litter.
He was delivered by horse transporter (ridiculous contrast: enormous brown horses, and a tiny brown dog) at 5am one morning in December 2001.

He grew into the funniest, most companionable dog we have ever had. Well trained by our semi-feral cat, Milo treated all the cats in his life with great respect, and his buddy Topsy the tabby with special love and adoration.
She's returned the favour for the last four years by acting as his minder while he slept in the sun.

Milo's chewing antics in puppyhood left him with a lifetime habit of trading the family socks for dog biscuits, because we had used the biscuits to persuade him to give up the socks.
He also adamantly camped out on the bathmat whenever anyone had a shower. When he was little he couldn't be trusted not to chew clothes if we weren't looking, so we had made him come into the bathroom with us at shower time.
We then spent the next thirteen years carefully manoevring ourselves out of the shower without standing on our very obedient, patiently waiting dog.

Milo played the most amazing games of soccer and could always find the ball hidden in the woodpile. Anyone outside gardening, playing or walking to the letterbox could rely on being distracted along the way by Milo hoping for a quick soccer game. He would carefully put the ball close by, and wait, and smile; if you didn't take the hint, he would dribble the ball along behind you like a soccer pro, hoping for another
chance.
His delight when he had the opportunity to chase that ball, especially to catch it mid-air and bring it back for another 'go', was completely infectious.

Milo brought up three children. They treated him like part of the furniture. He never seemed to mind.

Milo was terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks and while his manners would NEVER let him sleep on beds or furniture, he was always terribly grateful if you would sleep down on the floor with him when these
horrible noisy things were going on...Just because.

He'd had a bad few months since December. His next-most-favourite thing (sleeping) had become harder and harder because his legs wouldn't let him get comfortable. He couldn't see or hear all that well either, but rarely complained. He was always pleased to see us, even if he was now a bit surprised at how we'd managed to sneak up on him.

Alas, yesterday his legs gave out, and so his last ride to the vet was his last ride.

Now he's enjoying his last ever big sleep. RIP Milo :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484563 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Best Dog
ahh Geba he sounds a very special boy.. hugs..
am sniffing back the tears.. he sounds just like my little man that I lost last July..
only with him it was tennis balls .. loved to play fetch and if you tried to ignore him, a soggy ball was dropped on your lap or foot.. just so we got the hint..
the spark went out when he went blind ( in 2 weeks! ) and couldn't play anymore.. we tried and tried to find a throw toy that made a noise and was also terrier proof.. couldn't find anything.. just cat toys with bells..
he lasted another year, but he got very old very young ( 10 )..so he went for his last car ride ( 2nd best thing to do )

anyway.. my thoughts are with you.. I know how you must be feeling.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484569 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Best Dog
Sorry to hear - he sounds like a treasure! Our little Tibetan Spaniel does the same guard duty outside the shower.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484571 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Best Dog
The hardest thing now is picking up / packing up his toys and bowls. 13 years of tripping over those red Kong toys hasn't magically erased overnight. . . and I'm not sure if collecting up and sharing out all the photos of the daft dog is helping or hindering how we feel...:)

Thanks for the kind messages folks. I'm struggling with how much I'm struggling with this.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484574 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Best Dog
Thinking of you at this time - understand how hard it is to make the decision to "take the last drive to the vets" but the love he gave you over the years and the memories you have of him will never be forgotten.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484590 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Best Dog
RIP Milo
Run free my friend in the sun and the fields across the Rainbow bridge
Say hello to my big bear Kuma if youy see him ,, he and Ki will look after you ... run free Milo your a happy young boy now :)

Huge sympathies Geba ... such a huge hole they leave :( ... understand exactly how your feeling as wasn't that long ago that Kuma to crossed the rainbow bridge

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #484596 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Best Dog
What a wonderful eulogy to him I could picture all of that. Years of memories.

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484611 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Best Dog
Geba, I'm very sorry to hear about Milo. Your tribute was lovely and I could see him through your words. I chuckled at the shower thing - and it's clear from your post how much laughter and happiness he brought you and your family. Topsy will be missing him. Thinking of you at this sad time.
Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484653 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Best Dog
Tissues needed here too :( ...why is it we love as we do...so completely ...it hurts so much when we have to say goodbye ....if grief is the measure of how much we love ...we all love a lot ....but not one of us would not go through this pain, this grief cos' if we did ...it would mean a life without our beloved fur family :(

RIP Milo ... Sorry for your loss Geba :(

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 1 month ago #484659 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Best Dog
You are all so right - it's the HAVING to say goodbye. Honestly I wrestled with it....the longest twenty minutes in the world waiting until the vets office opened, trying to keep the poor dog quiet so he wouldn't try and drag himself across the ground ANY MORE because he couldn't stand up... and every step to the truck with the dog bundled up in a blanket to stop him trying to jump onto the ground took an eternity. Getting him safely to the vet without any further damage just seemed to take forever and I was yet so glad to get him there, but...I just so wished I did not have to do this final big hug with my nutty brown dog.

Who could have thought we'd so much miss that arctic blast from the door he so cleverly learnt to open but never shut...those muddy footprints in the hallway...those sudden I-have-to-hurl-PLEASE-open-the-door dashes across the house...and that cold, cold nose when we were peacefully sleeping...!He really was our best dog.

Thanks again everybody. I've nearly stopped moping, but I'll never stop remembering.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484666 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Best Dog
Feeling sad with you. it's never easy. You have some great memories of your best dog, a lovely tribute :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #484680 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Best Dog
So sorry to read about Milo, am sure your memories of life with him will still make you smile from time to time.
Saying goodbye is never easy especially with our one in a million companions. Enjoy those memories and take time to look after yourselves.

More
10 years 1 month ago #484830 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Best Dog
I can so feel with you...i'm so sorry :(

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
10 years 1 month ago #484831 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Best Dog
So sorry to read this, I really don't think it gets easier, we just get used to the pain... :( :( RIP Milo

Web Goddess

More
10 years 1 month ago #485884 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic Best Dog
My thoughts and sympathies are with you Geba and family. The hurting will never go away, and neither will the memories. Thank you for sharing your story of Milo’s wonderful life and his darling personality, I had to blink back tears and make sure no one here at work seen them as people who have never had a dog just don’t seem to understand. We too lost our old girl at only 10 years of age (yet still a good innings for a boxer) in November last year and it still hurts no less to this day. In fact my husband still wakes at night thinking the pillow he is cuddling is his Ali and its not easy when you realise it was all a very sad dream. She was a bossy wee tart so while I hope Milo finds Ali over the rainbow bridge, she’ll probably just try and steal all his food and toys!

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds