Run free my Big Bear

More
10 years 2 months ago #37158 by Stu_R
Run free my Big Bear was created by Stu_R
Today 5th of March 2014 at 4.31pm .. my wonderful , faithful , loving and loyal big bear Kuma the Japanese Akita crossed the Rainbow bridge ( with a bit of help from the Vets ) while happily sitting in the back of HIS Truck ( my station wagon ) after an afternoon of being "Special" and car rides by himself and being allowed to wander at his own pace , and being taken in to see Mopsey and Midget ewes and rub noses ( both of whom he had raised as hours old lambs here in town over a couple of different seasons ) , he loved his big chats with Dad this afternoon and he loved the cooked chicken treats dad had brought him.
We have been through a lot together Kuma and i , he has been with me since he was 6 weeks old .. today he was 13 years, 2 months and 17 days old ( anything over 8 years of age is a bonus for an Akita )
We have been through his daughter Ki's birth together, we have been through her death together when she was 10 years and 2 weeks old , we have been through her entire life with her
Kuma was giving up after Ki died :( .. i got Bridgette and Lilly Greyhounds on New Years eve 2013 ,, they gave Kuma an entire new lease on life ( and another 14 months on his life :) ) .. GoGo Greyhoundarrived here on 17 may 2013 and him and Kuma became best mates

His time had come :( :( .. so today i set him free from the arthritis pain in his back end , from the emotional pain of knowing he needed to go, but by time he was able to get up and start heading out side it to late , and the embarrassment that was obvious he felt , i set him free while he still had his mental alertness and his personality
Kuma the big bear ( Kuma is Japanese for Bear ) is now ( thanks to 3gf) up on top of a hill over looking the bush and the Valley , facing the morning sun, where they can hunt bunny's and chase possums to their hearts content and with his daughter Ki
Gutted here :( :( :(.. but it was right to set him free befor the days cooled off again and he was in pain again
Some photos of my wonderful Bear on his last day :)

Attached files

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #482581 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Run free my Big Bear
Hi Stu, sorry to hear that your dog had to go, not a good thing, but by the sounds of it had a great life with lots of love & care. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 2 months ago #482582 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Run free my Big Bear
Oh Stu that is so sad, you said he was getting towards the end of his life, but I think bringing in the girls and GoGo (as you felt) gave him a new lease on life this past year and what a great household he had to live in with you and the 3 greyhounds.
He was a great friend and companion to you for the last 13 years and you can rest assured he is now free from pain and in a great peaceful place looking down on you all from his big Akita sized cloud.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 2 months ago #482584 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic Run free my Big Bear
Aw I'm in tears (bloody hormones!). what a great life and a dignified end, he was lucky to have you stu!

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
10 years 2 months ago #482587 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Run free my Big Bear
I'm so sorry for your loss Stu - a very hard decision for you. You gave him a wonderful long life - you are such a kind and generous person and that shows in all your dealings with your animals and on this forum.

More
10 years 2 months ago #482590 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Run free my Big Bear
So sorry to hear of your loss Stu. I know how much he meant to you.
I know when I too had that hard decision to make about my old Lab. someone once said, better to go when they are relatively well and it is not a 'medical' emergency. You know in your heart it is the best thing-but oh so hard to name the date and time when they go. He had a wonderful life in your menagerie.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 2 months ago #482595 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Run free my Big Bear
Oh Stu I am sorry to hear this...that must have been so hard for you.

In times to come you'll know you gave him a wonderful life and made the best decisions for him right up to the end, but right now you just have to grieve.

Kia kaha
Kate

Web Goddess

More
10 years 2 months ago #482600 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Run free my Big Bear
Sounds like a lucky dog with a lifetime of memories to share with you Stu. Sending healing thoughts your way

More
10 years 2 months ago #482603 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Run free my Big Bear
What an awesome tribute to Kuma, evidence of your great love for him for ever. Sounds like he had the best life and has left some wonderful memories to treasure.

My dearest friend lost her Zac last week at 13 1/2 and feels her shadow is missing. They bring us so much and ask so little.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 2 months ago #482604 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Run free my Big Bear
Sending you our love and Prayers Stu {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} ...I know how hard this decision was for you ...Kuma was your special boy with the heart of a Bear ..he will be waiting for you with Ki and all your other treasured furry family that have gone before you.
God Bless ....he gave you the strength to do the right thing by your beloved Kuma[:X]

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 2 months ago #482610 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Run free my Big Bear
Commiserations Stu, you know you are amongst people that will completely understand how you feel.
The life we give our charge always measures the hole they leave in ours. :(

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 2 months ago #482627 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic Run free my Big Bear
Aw Stu, the hardest and kindest decision you can ever make for your best companion. Many tears will flow for your beautiful boy. He was loved.

More
10 years 2 months ago #482630 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Run free my Big Bear
I am so sorry stu.. also hugs from me, he was a great friend and will be sadly missed...

i lost my dog the dude last July..they leave a big hole in your heart..

More
10 years 2 months ago #482639 by Newbies
Replied by Newbies on topic Run free my Big Bear
So sorry for your loss Stu and family :( Its so painful to say goodbye but soon you will also feel a sense of relief knowing that Kuma is now free of pain and his last moments were with you, living the way he loved to. We too said goodbye to our old girl very recently and while the days will get easier, you will never forget, and you won't want to. Be ready for the laughter and tears when you and your family remember Kuma and the 13 years he gave you, those memories creep up on you when you least expect :)

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

More
10 years 2 months ago #482644 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Run free my Big Bear
With deepest sympathy, sounds like a great day together

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds