Evergreen, flowering climber ???

More
6 years 8 months ago #535085 by LindaVickie
Hi guys,
have recently had to give the shelterbelt tress a good trim.
Unfortunately one side runs partly along the driveway, and after the trim it looks pretty sad and I will always have a dead looking 30 or so feet that I know wont green up - ever. I don't want to rip it out (yet), the other side is green and the animals still make use of the shade and shelter.
So, I have built a 15 foot high frame with sheep netting attached to span the length.
I need some ideas for a climber, must be evergreen and preferably flowering. I know Banksiae rose would be happy there, but I really wanted something different ('stunning' is the word) and hopefully not something the council would class as a noxious weed (some of the ivy's) Fast growing would be good too.
Location - West Melton, Christchurch. Pretty good soil, sun most of the day, could be somewhat dry unless I keep on top of daily watering.
Let me know your ideas that you have had success with, that I could Google a picture
Thanks
Linda

Cats know more than they let on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #535092 by jeannielea
If you want a rose Cecile Brunner or sweetheart rose is stunning and doesn't lose all its leaves if you don't cut it back too hard. It does flower over all of summer.Or Wong wonga is pretty and profuse and is evergreen with tiny leaves. Flowers in spring.

More
6 years 8 months ago #535099 by Bamboo
You could try trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine) evergreen, fast growing has lovely white flowers with perfume in Spring/Summer really nice display when in full flower.

• sandgrubber
6 years 8 months ago #535109 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic Evergreen, flowering climber ???
I have pink Jasmine (polyanthum?) in my garden. It's evergreen, pretty, smells lovely when in flower and extremely invasive. If you don't watch it, it will take over.

More
6 years 8 months ago #535110 by kate
Not showy but very attractive Tecomanthe speciosa

Web Goddess

More
6 years 8 months ago #535116 by Hawkspur
I vote against jasmine unless you already know you like it. I find its scent is so strong it is overwhelming. I'd want it to be hundreds of metres away.

There are some very pretty native clematis. The native clematis are all evergreen.

More
6 years 8 months ago #535145 by Mudlerk
Tecomanthe might be a bit delicate for West Melton. Not frost hardy...all the plants descend from one specimen found on Manawa Tawhi, the largest of the Three Kings Islands.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #535538 by Olivia
Bougainvillea?
I've never grown one myself but they always look stunning in photos.

Edit: Whoops, don't think it would suit as just read they are only evergreen in mild areas.

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Olivia.

More
6 years 5 months ago #536783 by LindaVickie
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
I went for the climbing roses. South Pacific recommended to get three, and they've really taken off. They guy said they will easily reach the 3m height. Got three - Crepuscule, Uetersen and Awakening. So we'll see what happens, will be great if they do get to the 3m mark ;)
My parents are in New Plymouth and they have deep red bougainvillea, and yes they are stunning
I have put a native Clematis Paniculata over another fence.
Linda :)

Cats know more than they let on.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds