Tree Identification

More
6 years 8 months ago #534373 by Treeperson
Hi,

I'm new here and just moved onto a property where there is something looking like a pohutakawa tree growing. I was wanting to identify it, so that I can get an idea of its size.

At the moment it's probably 4-6m high. It is also flowering in July so I don't think it is actually a pohutakawa tree. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to identify it?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534374 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Tree Identification
Where are you? It could be a Rata hybrid of some sort, although there aren't any red ones in flower currently.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534375 by Treeperson
Replied by Treeperson on topic Tree Identification
In Auckland, Te Atatu Peninsula specifically! I assumed it was a pohutakawa until a friend mentioned that it wouldn't be flowering in winter. I will try to get some more detailed photos tomorrow or Tuesday.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534377 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Tree Identification
Its certainly hard to tell from the photo. A close up especially of the flower and the arrangement of the leaves would be most helpful.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 8 months ago #534378 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Tree Identification
Hi, it is a Eucalyptus possibly Eucalyptus Sideroxylon,there is one flowering exactly the same beside our driveway at present. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 8 months ago #534386 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Tree Identification
Yes, I agree with 4trees. The flowers could also be E. leucoxylon, but the thick red bark looks more like sideroxylon...which also goes by the name of ironbark. Leucoxylon has the peeling-off-and-leaving-big-white-or-green-patches bark so common on gum trees.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534401 by Treeperson
Here's an update with some better photos:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #534411 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Tree Identification
Totally disagree with the eucalyptus idea. They have narrow elongated leaves.
To me it looks very like a pohutukawa, but may be a hybrid. Something must have triggered a flowering. I had plum blossom on my fruit trees just a few weeks ago.
I might be a little concerned though about that marking on the back of the leaf you have turned over. With all the worry about Myrtle Rust, it would be prudent to be cautious and get the tree properly identified, also check for signs of rust and follow the guidelines put out by MPI if at all concerned Myrtle rust

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534412 by Treeperson
Thank you! I will get it checked :)

More
6 years 8 months ago #534413 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Tree Identification
Hi, my apologies, I identified the tree by the photo at the beginning of the posting, yes it is Pohutukawa, Metrosideros and not Eucalyptus. I am sure it hasn't got Myrtle rust, I have a nursery and we are having to look out for it all the time and be on alert. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 8 months ago #534414 by Treeperson
Yes, the first photo wasn't really representative! Sorry about that! And thanks for your opinion on the potential myrtle rust :)

More
6 years 8 months ago #534421 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Tree Identification

4trees wrote: Hi, my apologies, I identified the tree by the photo at the beginning of the posting, yes it is Pohutukawa, Metrosideros and not Eucalyptus. I am sure it hasn't got Myrtle rust, I have a nursery and we are having to look out for it all the time and be on alert. Cheers.

Yes to Metrosideros but it surely can't be Pohutukawa and flowering now! I'd still bet on a late (or confused) hybrid with the Rata vine which flowers around April.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534422 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Tree Identification
Yes, of course! Now I look at the leaves, it can't be eucalyptus. As for time of flowering, there are quite a few different Meterosideros [and no doubt DNA mapping will find even more divisions], and quite a variation in flowering times from place to place and season to season. Here in Manawatu we've seen some really unusual stuff going on this year. Some of the daffodils near the Palmerston North bridge have almost finished flowering.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534573 by Barnrat
Replied by Barnrat on topic Tree Identification
This appears to be a Tahitian Pohutukawa. I have one by my front door that is in flower at this time each year. They seem to be out of synch with our seasons, or maybe they just flower in winter in Tahiti due to the comparative warmth. Keeps the Tui happy at this time.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534590 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Tree Identification
That 's interesting. I didn't know of the Tahitian one. Does planting it risk cross pollination with the native? Not that we are in a pohutukawa area, but it might affect others choices.
A tree that flowers in winter for the tui is certainly desirable, and cheerful for us too.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds