Scionwood exchange 2017

More
6 years 10 months ago #533010 by YakDr
Any interest in another scionwood exchange this year similar to Scionwood exchange 2016 ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: VioletFarmer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533084 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Scionwood exchange 2017
Yep I'm keen, its a great way to increase the orchard.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533085 by YakDr
Replied by YakDr on topic Scionwood exchange 2017
Certainly is. I had great success with everything I managed to get grafted at the right time. Fruit salad trees!!

More
6 years 10 months ago #533091 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Scionwood exchange 2017
anyone got Monty's Surprise?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #533094 by YakDr
I do tony

More
6 years 10 months ago #533101 by tonybaker
thanks YakDr, what are your thoughts on best time to graft? I have had success waiting until just before bud movement and taking a cutting from the donor tree then cleft grafting onto rootstock. Not had much experience with keeping cuttings in the fridge. The ones I Iike best are Akane then Liberty, both reasonably disease resistant. My trees are quite old and a bit misshapen so I have been grafting onto the rootstock whips that come up around the base, then later removing the old trunk.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #533106 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Scionwood exchange 2017

tonybaker wrote: anyone got Monty's Surprise?

Yes I have. Not very impressed with it.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #533126 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Scionwood exchange 2017
I have grafted Monties onto one of my trees, got the first apples this year but they look nothing like the pictures I have seen! Nice big apple the one I have but it was fairly green with not much red on it. So now I'm rather confused....

More
6 years 10 months ago #533127 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Scionwood exchange 2017

Edenview wrote: I have grafted Monties onto one of my trees, got the first apples this year but they look nothing like the pictures I have seen! Nice big apple the one I have but it was fairly green with not much red on it. So now I'm rather confused....

Mine are like that too. Mostly green with just a hint of reddish stripes on top, but not at all like I have seen them advertised and very sour. Mine was a grafted one bought from a wholesaler.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #533146 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Scionwood exchange 2017
I've heard a few reports that they are overrated.... On the other hand we didn't get that much sun this year. Perhaps that affects the flavour?

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 10 months ago #533149 by YakDr
I store scions in the fridge until I'm ready to use them Tony, like you just as the buds are starting to swell. Works with sending material around the country well. When I'm doing grafting of my own varieties or trees that are close enough to me I prefer to bud graft onto my new rootstocks (produced by stooling) and I produce something ready to grow come spring

More
6 years 10 months ago #533378 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Scionwood exchange 2017

Stikkibeek wrote:

Edenview wrote: I have grafted Monties onto one of my trees, got the first apples this year but they look nothing like the pictures I have seen! Nice big apple the one I have but it was fairly green with not much red on it. So now I'm rather confused....

Mine are like that too. Mostly green with just a hint of reddish stripes on top, but not at all like I have seen them advertised and very sour. Mine was a grafted one bought from a wholesaler.

Fake news. There were news articles about how great a job NZ scientists had done with developing red fleshed apples years ago, and where are these red apples? There were news articles about the wonderful red Monty's Surprise, and where are these red Monty's Surprises? Mine aren't that much different from the Peasgood Nonsuch they sit beside.

I'm up for scion exchange.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533502 by Evergrow
Replied by Evergrow on topic Scionwood exchange 2017
Hi, I have a Monty's Surprise and it gave amazing fruit!

I grafted it myself from a South Coast Environment Society scionwood fundraiser and it gave its first fruit this year. 10 large apples on a tree no taller than my 4 year old. (I grow my trees in EverGrow Bags for the benefits of root restriction.)

The first ones I tried I waited until they fell off. They were definitely reddish, even if only on the side facing the sun. Crisp, wonderful depth of flavour. Much sweeter than a granny smith. I cooked up one and that gave a very tasty stewed fruit, didn't need sweetened. The last couple I left on the tree started losing crispness. The biggest was 402g. We live in Oamaru by the way.

Hopefully these photos attach properly.
Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago #533506 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Scionwood exchange 2017

Evergrow wrote: The first ones I tried I waited until they fell off. They were definitely reddish, even if only on the side facing the sun. Crisp, wonderful depth of flavour. Much sweeter than a granny smith. I cooked up one and that gave a very tasty stewed fruit, didn't need sweetened. The last couple I left on the tree started losing crispness. The biggest was 402g. We live in Oamaru by the way.

I live in Geraldine, and mine were nowhere near that red. Nice to see someone's getting it right, I guess :-)

More
6 years 10 months ago #533516 by tonybaker
Personally, I would not trust the nursery to supply true to type material. The best way is to positively identify a fruiting tree and take budwood from it.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds