scleranthus identification

More
7 years 7 months ago #525039 by Hawkspur
Is there a way to identify the various scleranthus (uniflorus/biflorus/brockiei)? They are not flowering at the moment but hopefully will at some point. These are ones I found growing in the drive, and have potted up. They are growing quite a bit more and some of them are quite long leaved now they are not being driven over every day...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525043 by muri
Replied by muri on topic scleranthus identification
Uniflorous is more dense and slightly smaller foliage. I think both have the same flowers.
They wouldnt like having traffic over them particular, vehicular or pedestrian
They are quite prone to fungal attack here in auckland so dont last that long, but you might have more luck as less humidity but they need excellent drainage so gravel is good to grow them on as an example

More
7 years 7 months ago #525044 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic scleranthus identification
Given the way much of it has grown taller now it is not squashed, it may be biflorus.
There is quite a lot of it on the flat parking/turning area, which is just an area of reed, thistles, plantain, foxglove, and various grasses, with some broom and gorse, that was mown and had a thin layer of gravel put on it as a temporary measure. So the gravel and driving has dissuaded the grasses and favoured the scleranthus, probably because it now gets plenty of sun, rather than it likes being crushed! I just found another square metre of it today. It even grows right in the wheel tracks.
It is interesting that they are growing in an area of clay over rock, that can get squelchy in winter and had some reeds. Not ideal for a plant that likes things free-draining, but it is on a small spur so will be drier than a lot of the rest.
Now that I have all these little plants, (30 in pots as of last week, and more if I keep harvesting) I am going to have to plan a part of the garden, around the house to be, to suit it! I will collect up some of the more mobile sized rocks we have disturbed when track building to go with them.
I'll have to learn to recognise some other plants to put with them so I can get more freebies ready to plant.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525054 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic scleranthus identification
So what is the best way to grow scleranthus uniflorus? there's a lot growing on the nearby hills where ive tried moving some with out luck, are they best grown from seed?

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
7 years 7 months ago #525055 by muri
Replied by muri on topic scleranthus identification
Its not usually grown from seed as that is so slow, so divided up.
Its not the easiest plant in the world to cultivate, well at least in our humid climate where it tends to be short lived.
I would try and replicate its natural growing conditions where you found it, keep it moist but not wet after removing and stony rather than moisture holding soil

More
7 years 7 months ago #525062 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic scleranthus identification
The scleranthus I have potted up are in 2/3 sand 1/3 potting mix, and I have them in full sun, and let them get dry between watering. They seem very happy and have put on quite a bit of growth.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds