Wanted to buy gooseberry/white currant/joostabery/worchesterberry cuttings

More
7 years 9 months ago #522912 by Name123
If anyone has the following plant varieties, and would like to sell cuttings please let me know. I'm happy to pay postage, plus a per-cutting fee. Anything that I get will be added to my yearly exchange list I'll offer here, once I have it established.

Gooseberry varieties I do not have (Monarch, Pax, Farmer's Glory, Daelyn Early, ...).
White currant (if you've seen it fruit white, mine fruits red..).
Joostaberry.
Worchesterberry.

If you prefer to exchange for something on my list in the scionwood exchange, that's fine too. But I'm happy to pay to give you some incentive to help me out.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522923 by RichardW
I had the Worchesterberry years ago and found it to be nasty prickly bush with fruit that i would rate 4 out of 10 in taste

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
7 years 9 months ago #522924 by Name123

RichardW wrote: I had the Worchesterberry years ago and found it to be nasty prickly bush with fruit that i would rate 4 out of 10 in taste

I remember you posting somewhere you tore it out, because of the thorns. But I wasn't aware it was deficient in the taste department.

I'm more about keeping a collection of all the possible goose/currant/similar berry varieties so I can offer them to others, than wanting something that tastes good. It makes me sad to look at my gardening books and see the varieties we used to have, but there's no way to get many of them.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522938 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
Country trading have some of those gooseberry verities

Twin three year old boys, 1 year old baby boy. 2 dogs, 2 miniature horses, 5 ducks 2 chickens and too many bees to count.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522940 by Name123

Sarahdodds200@gmail.com wrote: Country trading have some of those gooseberry verities

Unfortunately, I can't afford to splurge that sort of spending on full grown plants and shipping, for all the varieties I'd like to collect. :) Country trading are also on the more expensive side of things, but that's neither here nor there, as some of them are cheaper elsewhere including local nurseries. And there's also the risk that you spend that much, as I have for my white currant (which isn't) and other things, to only find out a year or two down the road that it's not what you thought you bought.

If I can buy the cuttings from members here, it's a better investment all round.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522982 by Edenview
They are like weeds down here, there are gooseberries all along the river banks. Wonder what type they are? I'd guess bought by the gold miners, but then again they could be from dumped garden rubbish. I usually collect cuttings from the mining runis up in the hills then I feel I can assume they are older types.
Sorry don't have a white current. I pm'd you about the blackcurrents etc.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522985 by Name123

Edenview wrote: They are like weeds down here, there are gooseberries all along the river banks. Wonder what type they are? I'd guess bought by the gold miners, but then again they could be from dumped garden rubbish. I usually collect cuttings from the mining runis up in the hills then I feel I can assume they are older types.
Sorry don't have a white current. I pm'd you about the blackcurrents etc.

Wish we had weeds like that here, it's mainly hawthorne, brambles and elderberry. Not that the elderberry jelly didn't go down a treat this year. Replied in pm, thanks!

More
7 years 9 months ago #522986 by Sue
Here are photos of the bushes which were assumed to be Levin Early. I can do cuttings if you would like to try them.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #522987 by Name123

Sue wrote: Here are photos of the bushes which were assumed to be Levin Early. I can do cuttings if you would like to try them.

That's fantastic Sue, will PM.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523226 by The dream
Hi
If you are still looking I think I have some gooseberry Pax. Thornless variety with red fruit. I also have a thorny variety that I have been trying to tame a little!

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523235 by JustinNeMo
I do have a large collection of currants, red and black, but unfortunately as I just moved end of last year, they are all cut back and dug out into planter bags which they stayed for the whole season. They will be planted out this Winter and I should have some cuttings to spare next season.

I'll be interested in gooseberries that are thornless as well, apart of Pax which I have.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds