Trifoliata seed for citus wanted

More
7 years 10 months ago #522298 by Kiwi Tussock
Has anyone got a half dozen Trifoliata seeds?
The family would like to reproduce the same grapefruit tree for each of us.
ta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #522304 by muri
Why not buy the trifoliata root stock which is available from some nurseries so you can graft onto that, it would be a quicker process for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwi Tussock

More
7 years 10 months ago #522818 by wandering free
Have you thought of using cuttings, they would give you a head start on the seeds.

trifoliate cuttings

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwi Tussock

More
7 years 10 months ago #522838 by Name123
There was also an episode of an Australian gardening show, in the first episode they had some greek dude who had a large citrus in his front yard, to which he did many bud grafts. Vasili's Garden, I believe it was called. In theory, if you get a lemon or something, you could also graft on there. And if the spot is frost free, and the bush gets big enough, then you can graft on the finger limes and the real limes, and the variety of varieties.

Another option, anyway.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524981 by Kiwi Tussock
Thanks guys. A nice friendly man answered and sent some to me which I planted in a Rice Milk Tetra Pac and kept it moist and close to the fire to kid it that it was in a warm climate. I have half dozen showing now and Im delighted. I'll let them grow on a little, & harder then at around 4 inches tall, I'll prick them out into tall PB3's and then bud them next year.
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciate the input

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #525928 by Kiwi Tussock
For those who may be interested:
The seeds have germinated and are ready to plant out into the longer (taller) PB3. (the long PB3 in yester-year were used for plants like Avocados)
The tallest of these are approx 70mm (see Rule in top RH side of back box)
They have been in the kitchen since planting but years ago, when I grew my own orchards citrus trees, I planted three or four hundred of them under thin black film which I lifted after about 10 to 12 days. They then popped up and grew like Topsy.
They are easy so have a go.
When they get to about pencil thick, its time to slit the bark and put a bud off the tree you want to grow under the Trifoliatas bark. I pruned off the growth above the slit and new bud that I had slipped in the slit about 2 or 3 weeks later. (Im not sure if that can be done before then)
Then its just a matter of watching the bud develop and whilst doing that, removing all Trifolata growth which in turns forces any growth into the new bud. It might be Grapefruit, Navel Orange, Mandarin.
Its a rewarding job and I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Kiwi Tussock. Reason: Adding text
The following user(s) said Thank You: overdosingelk

More
7 years 6 months ago #526343 by wandering free
I don't seem to be getting alerts to my posts so have been missing the conversation, we received a very nice parcel from you and enjoyed the contents over the last couple of days thank you very much and I'm pleased the seeds have germinated, I put some in my green house and have had a good strike,
Best wishes Bryan

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #531859 by Garyfisher
Hi am also looking for some trifoliata seed if any one can help me
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Garyfisher.

More
7 years 1 week ago #531862 by wandering free
I should have some around June when the fruit ripens but the seed's don't keep they need to be fresh from the fruit for a good strike, but looking at Kiwi Tussock's photo they seem to have germinated fine.

Bryan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Garyfisher

More
7 years 1 week ago #531866 by Garyfisher
Thank you very much. Come on harvest
Gary

More
6 years 11 months ago #532607 by wandering free
Hi Gary I've sent you a private message the trifoliata fruit is dropping so can be sown any time now.
Bryan

More
6 years 10 months ago #533500 by nodrogofthenorth
I am also keen on some seed if possible.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533511 by wandering free
The fruit are finished now, it you have citrus they will sometimes throw suckers from the roots it can be a faster way than seeds to propagate them.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533515 by nodrogofthenorth
Thanks for your reply wandering free. We have recently bought bare land and plan to grow a wide variety of trees, so early days. Will be planting a few "commercial" fruit trees but am keen to propagate as much as I can.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533525 by wandering free
All the best for the future with your new project, we started with an old house and bare land in 1980 and now I'm wondering where to plant more trees.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds