Braeburn
Pacific Rose
Gilmac
Granny Smith
Pacific Beauty
Fuji
Fuji Supreme
Envy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522782 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Scionwood exchange 2016

Peteyboo wrote: I can get people the following apple varieties

Royal Gala
Jazz
Lady In Red
Braeburn
Pacific Rose
Gilmac
Granny Smith
Pacific Beauty
Fuji
Fuji Supreme
Envy

Welcome Peteyboo. I was planning to start this up if it hadn't already started in a week or two when my trees had finally dropped their leaves. I'll post my list for anyone interested in exchanging later today.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #522792 by Name123
Here's a list of my non-seed stuff I have for exchange. PM me with the selection you want, if you've posted a list of your own.

Unless people request otherwise, I'll be sending cuttings stored this way .

Almond - Monovale
Apple - Peasgood Nonsuch
Apple - Montys Surprise
Apple - Splendour
Apple - Granny Smith
Apple - Cider - Brown's Eater
Apple - Cider - Kingston Black
Apple - Cider - Lady Finger Cider
Apple - Cider - Yarlington Mill
Apricot - Cluthagold
Apricot - Moorpark
Apricot - Royal Rosa
Apricot - Unknown (older tree)
Cherry - Lapin
Fig - Brown Turkey
Fig - French Sugar
Olive - Frantoio
Nectarine - Fantasia
Nectarine - Goldmine
Grape - Albany
Peach - Black Boy
Peach - Golden Queen (from seed)
Peach - Yellow (Unknown, mislabeled Black boy from nursery).
Peach - Flatto (still need to look at tree to see if can take cuttings).
Pear - Packham's Triumph
Pear - Winter Nellis
Pear - Taylor's Gold
Plum - Hawera
Plum - Greengage
Plum - Black Amber
Plum - Coes Golden Drop
Plum - Santa Rosa
Plum - Prune - Italian
Plumcot
Mulberry
Quince - Smyrna
Walnut - Unknown (decent sized nuts, reliable bearer).

Gooseberry, Invicta.
Currant, Black, Magnus.
Currant, Black, Cotswald Cross.
Currant, Red, Unknown (mislabeled White Currant from Mitre 10)
Currant, Red, Unknown (unlabeled from nursery).
Currant, Red, Gloria de Versailles.
Citrus, Grapefruit, Golden Special.

Comfrey, roots.
Yacon.
Artichoke, Jerusalem.
Garlic, Takahue Red.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Name123.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522795 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
yes, the best way to take cuttings/budwood is to have your ziplock bags ready and labeled, choose a dry day when not many fungal spores are around, put the cuttings straight into the bag and exclude as much air as possible and keep in the fridge. For longer term storage, an anti fungal dip can be used.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #522796 by Name123

tonybaker wrote: yes, the best way to take cuttings/budwood is to have your ziplock bags ready and labeled, choose a dry day when not many fungal spores are around, put the cuttings straight into the bag and exclude as much air as possible and keep in the fridge. For longer term storage, an anti fungal dip can be used.

At a guess, I think most of us in the last exchange just winged it with plastic bags (supermarket, freezer bags) and damp paper towels or newspaper in the fridge for the length of the following Winter. At least that's how I sent them out, or received them. I'm not a professional with resources like anti-fungal dip unfortunately. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #522799 by YakDr
Replied by YakDr on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
I will add more as I think of them but off the top of my head:
Apple granny smith
Apple montys surprise
Apple peasgood nonsuch
Apple Cox orange
Apple kids orange
Apple baujade,
Apple sir prize
Apple liberty
Apple braeburn
Apricot sundrop
Apricot Trevat
Peach Golden queen
Peach Peacharine
Pear Doyenne du comice
Pear William bon cretian
Pear Taylors gold,
Pear Conference
Pear Winter nelis
Pear Beurre bosch
Plum Sultan
Plum Satsuma
Plum Hawera
Plum Billington

More
7 years 9 months ago #522843 by YakDr
Replied by YakDr on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
I can't think of any more varieties so that is my list as it is. Let me know if anybody wants to swap something.

Peteyboo: I sent you a private message on Sunday in case you haven't seen the new private message notification come up

More
7 years 9 months ago #522939 by Sarahdodds200@gmail.com
Are you looking for anything? I quite like some of the Apples you have there?

I have
Plumcot
Dwarf Apple blush babe

Lots of seeds to offer as well:
Cape gooseberry
Passion fruit
Lots of chillies
Jacaranda tree
Lots of heritage fruit and vegetable seeds.

Twin three year old boys, 1 year old baby boy. 2 dogs, 2 miniature horses, 5 ducks 2 chickens and too many bees to count.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523040 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
Right here is my trade list, took me as while because I realized I didn't actually know what I had! Soooo have now made a map and gone thru my old garden books and tracked down what is planted where.
apples- peasgood nunsuch
granny smith
braeburn
splendor
golden delishous
a rd side apple I call Irene adamson after the old lady that used to collect them for me. large green/yellow skin slightly odd shape great flavoursome cooker
montys surprise
worster pearmain
bel de boscoup
crab apple jon hum
nectarine gold mine
self sewn red skin, yellow flesh
cherry stella
lapin
nashi no name
pear doyenne du comice,
red Bartlett
peach golden queen
black boy
self sewn, large, green/yellow skin, yellow flesh
apricot moorpark
raspberry most are waiau some are collected from river side, but are now mixed up!
black current cotswald
old type from karatane 1950s large berries
gooseberry modern types
large yellow from ruins of old farm at Tairei Mouth
prickly green from Gabriels Gully gold field
logan berry
olive frantoio
picual
walnut no name
almond garden prince
sorry about the spelling! I'm pruning my trees from now on as all are long dormant so can send cuttings any time.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523249 by Olivia
Replied by Olivia on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
Hello all,

This year will mark my first attempt at grafting and as I cannot guarantee success in this venture, my plan is to play around with existing (unknown varieties) of fruit trees in our old orchard rather than potentially waste someone's specially saved scion wood. HOWEVER if anyone has leftover scion wood at the end of this exchange that would just be pruned off anyway, I would love a PM to arrange postage! :lol: :lol:

As previously said, I don't know the variety of apple or pear in the orchard but one apple I find particularly yummy straight off the tree and one of our pear trees produces a red variety. If anyone would like some of these mystery varieties, let me know and I'll have a crack at cutting and packaging scion wood. :)

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #523290 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
Hi Anakei
just a little something to think about: the grafting on specific rootstocks is not just so nurseries can make easy money. the purpose this was invented was to adapt the tree to growing conditions that would not be suitable to a tree grown on its own roots: heavy soil or too light soil. risk of fungal infections, to shorten the time it takes for a young tree to come into fruit, and, of course, depending on the space available. That's where the dwarfing rootstocks come in. if you have limited space, growing an appletree on its roots is not recommended, as it will A) take 10 - 12 years to come into fruit, and B) take up the space of at least 4 - 6 dwarfed trees.

Summerpruning will only help to a certain degree. the tree will eventually grow to a size where it will be too large. it will, most certainly, never really bear much fruit

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Blueberry.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523297 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Scionwood exchange 2016
Yes, Olivia
i'd be very interested in your pear and apple varieties - i've got pretty much what the guys mention on their lists (with, perhaps. the odd one out), most of the trees Koanga has (or ever had) for sale, plus some oddities like Ventura dwarf figs, Capulin cherry, Blackberry Hybrid Karaka, Pears Seckel and Keifer, Apple Northern Spy (on its own roots, has not fruited yet, but is very good to grow your own rootstocks),
unfortunately i lost some of the variety names of my grafted apples (scion wood from the Open Orchard Project and Koanga) due to a bad quality nursery pen (the writing just vanished :woohoo: ) but the trees are still here, fruiting

and, of course, if anyone is game to try and grow blueberries from hardwood cuttings - just pm me!

PM me what you would like - i'm only just beginning with my pruning, so 'everything' is possible.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
7 years 8 months ago #523391 by Olivia

Blueberry wrote: Yes, Olivia
i'd be very interested in your pear and apple varieties

Well there's no hiding for me now! I'll have to "just do it" and get over my fear of doing it wrong :ohmy:

I'm away until after the weekend so PM me your address, Blueberry, and I'll send you the scion wood next week. If they arrive in good order and look like they should, I'd love cuttings from a nectarine and Japanese plum please, if you have those? Would hate to receive something first and send you a dud!

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
7 years 8 months ago #523401 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Scionwood exchange 2016

Blueberry wrote: Hi Anakei
just a little something to think about: the grafting on specific rootstocks is not just so nurseries can make easy money. the purpose this was invented was to adapt the tree to growing conditions that would not be suitable to a tree grown on its own roots: heavy soil or too light soil. risk of fungal infections, to shorten the time it takes for a young tree to come into fruit, and, of course, depending on the space available. That's where the dwarfing rootstocks come in. if you have limited space, growing an appletree on its roots is not recommended, as it will A) take 10 - 12 years to come into fruit, and B) take up the space of at least 4 - 6 dwarfed trees.

Summerpruning will only help to a certain degree. the tree will eventually grow to a size where it will be too large. it will, most certainly, never really bear much fruit

I am rethinking this, not because I don't think its a good idea but because a lot of fruit trees are apparently hard to grow from cuttings without carefully controlled ambient and base heating. Earlier fruiting can be obtained by summer pruning, tying down branches, planting at 45 degrees and various other techniques. It seemed to me logical that fruit trees can be grown on their own roots and just because for commercial reasons this is no longer done, does not mean its not a viable idea for home gardeners. I will try cuttings when the opportunity arises but otherwise I'll have to build up my orchard more slowly with the bought ones. :dry: Luckily soft fruits are much cheaper :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 8 months ago #523546 by Olivia

Name123 wrote: Unless people request otherwise, I'll be sending cuttings stored this way .

Thank for the link! Otherwise I would have been sending scion wood using the soggy paper towel method :woohoo: :whistle:

Blueberry, I have the apple scions ready to go if you could please pm your address.

I haven't cut the pear scions yet as in a state of confusion regarding the length they should be - last year's growth is really, really short on that red pear tree, probably no more than 3-4 inches. Can someone please advise if that is normal for some varieties?

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds