Propagating tips.

More
8 years 6 months ago #515094 by Mustangnin
Propagating tips. was created by Mustangnin
Hi, its been a few years since I propagated some shrubs/ plants for my garden. I set up my small propagating unit yesterday after it fell into disrepair and am keen to get started.
I was wondering what media was used now? - do people make their own or buy ready made? I googled and saw Daltons have a propagating sand- not sure if its good. I will need some sort of rooting hormone. Any other tips I may have forgotten over time? Recommendations for books/ articles?
Appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #515097 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Propagating tips.
This site has a quick run-down on the advantages and disadvantages of a few different rooting media.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mustangnin

More
8 years 6 months ago #515144 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Propagating tips.
I use a mixture of equal quantities of fine pumice and bark, mixed well, Best to keep moist but not wet.
I have never used rooting hormones, I prefer plants to develop good strong roots without chemicals.
I cant recommend books but am sure you could find good ones in your local library?

More
8 years 6 months ago #516055 by Webby
Replied by Webby on topic Propagating tips.
Honey is a good hormone

More
8 years 5 months ago #516206 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Propagating tips.
HI, I propagate many hundreds of plants, and we just use 3mm sand for the cuttings and seed. No additives, this warms up quicker than most of your potting mix type soils. The sand is cheap and you can throw it away or put it on the garden when you have finished with it. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
8 years 5 months ago #516212 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Propagating tips.
Hey Helen, what's the depth that you use for propagating with sand? Is 5cm enough?

More
8 years 5 months ago #516213 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Propagating tips.
I discovered something interesting today. I had a seedling apple tree in a pot in the greenhouse and it hadn't been moved for sometime which gave it a chance to push roots through the bottom of the pot into the greenhouse soil. A friend helping me weed the greenhouse just ripped the pot up and moved it. Today I noticed it had grown three new little apple trees on whatever roots got left behind. Now, I knew you could take root cuttings, I just didn't expect an apple seedling to send up three new plants. Might pot them up, they look like strong survivors.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 5 months ago #516220 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Propagating tips.
the only problem I would see with a sand only mix is it has no water holding capacity so while this could be an advantage in winter, it wouldnt work as well in the summer as the cuttings would quickly lose moisture as there is very little airspace in sand as well. Hence mixing with bark or peat to get something that holds water.
Professionals will use a misting unit but a spray bottle with water will help keep the moisture levels up if you are propagating in the dry months

More
8 years 5 months ago #516228 by Stikkibeek
Fine pumice makes an excellent medium for cuttings. It has good capillary action, so if the base of the pot is in shallow water, it will continue to draw water up as it evaporates off the top. Just top up the water tray when you see it's dry.

More
8 years 5 months ago #516257 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Propagating tips.
HI, 5cm would be the depth of our trays we use.We find if it dries out to quick especially when it is in the peak of summer, just mix a little liquid detergent with some water and water that into the sand. We have areas where the cuttings are under mist, and we have areas where they shaded are watered for about 20seconds twice a day with a hose. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
8 years 5 months ago #516606 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Propagating tips.
I'm quite pleased with the bag of Dalton's Cutting Mix that I bought when I had fig cuttings to propagate. I also used a liquid rooting hormone called Clonex.

Half the cuttings were jammed into a large pot of Cutting Mix. The best half were wrapped in plastic and carefully placed in the heated propagator.
Unfortunately the thermostat on the propagator broke down and it cooked them!
The pot of cuttings in the cutting mix were outside and weren't fussed over. A couple weeks ago I noticed that the cuttings were showing signs of life. The pot was removed from the orchard when a torch-llght inspection revealed a slug chewing on one of the shoots. The pot now has buds and leaves forming on all the cuttings in it! It is locked up at night out of possum's reach as well.

Results:
Propagator: Possibly one cutting surviving.
Dalton's Cutting Mix pot: 100% success (9/9).
Figs have a strong desire to grow, which is a great help! lol.

If you are near a HortiCentre shop the Clonex is a lot cheaper there than in the super market or from a hardware store or garden centre.

Next experiment is to see if my green cuttings of grapevines take root.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #516617 by Stikkibeek

Belle Bosse wrote: Next experiment is to see if my green cuttings of grapevines take root.

I had big success taking green juvenile cuttings off Plum trees and rose bushes in January 2013 and they all survived. Powdered rooting hormone. The secret is not to let them dry out. i chose pots that were not too big, and have some bottle cloches made out of ocean Spray Cranberry bottles (plastic ones) They fitted nicely inside the plant pots. I kept the bottle tops on initially and just topped up the water tray if it was dry. For a while I couldn't see anything through the condensation on the bottles, but when it was obvious something was growing, i took the bottle tops off, but kept up the water in the tray. They were in a sheltered posi by the house, where they got early morning sun only. that winter when leaves dropped, they were transplanted to the orchard and are starting to make some size three years later.

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 years 5 months ago #516813 by madaboutmushrooms
Replied by madaboutmushrooms on topic Propagating tips.
Just a thought? When taking cuttings from trees or shrubs a lot of them have been grafted and the scion or top growth can perform much differently to the tree you think your getting.

More
8 years 4 months ago #517779 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Propagating tips.
:) Hi

yes i'm here again after a long absence... :)
we have 3-4 huge shrubs with old roses who got a beautiful scent. They are planted towards the road and we would like to build a fence along to cut off the traffic noise a bit. Can i take cuttings of those and (try) to regrow them to put them somewhere else? And can i do it now in summer (very hot here at the moment 32°C) or should i wait till autumn?

Thanks
cheers
kaumea

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
8 years 4 months ago #517793 by Stikkibeek
Try the method I have posted on this thread. I had success with roses too this way.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kaumea

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds